• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WBB Gets GREAT Recruit. Stephanie Sarosi!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Welcome Stephanie!!!

USF WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Titusville Astronaut's Stephanie Sarosi, rated the nation's eighth best junior center, verbally committed Monday.

The 6-foot-5 Sarosi, the younger sister of former USF offensive tackle Derrick Sarosi, is the highest-rated recruit to commit to USF's women's basketball program.

Sarosi averaged 16.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.

``I kind of wanted to stay open as long as I could, but USF was always at the top of my list,'' Sarosi said. ``People will say I'm only a junior, I should wait, but it's where my heart is. I've been going to my brother's football games for five years so I'm there all the time. It's the best decision for me.''

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB6TJJMZ7E.html

Eat your hearts out Tenn and UConn.  ;D

This is a thread concerning her on the recruiting board:

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Prospects;action=display;num=1109139477;start=0#16

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

bilde?Site=A9&Date=20050418&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=504180348&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=450&MaxH=550&title=0

April 18, 2005

Sarosi grows into a player

Astronaut junior played soccer early before the switch

BY BARBARA CAYWOOD

FLORIDA TODAY

TITUSVILLE - Lucky for Astronaut, Stephanie Sarosi has figured out which end of a basketball court is which. Otherwise, everyone might be as confused as the 6-foot-5 War Eagles' junior was in her first middle school game.

Although she always was "a tall kid," Sarosi spent the early part of her youth on the soccer field instead of the basketball court.

That all changed when Astronaut assistant coach Randy Minnihan convinced the about-to-be seventh grader, who was already 5-8, to play on his summer Sunshine State Games team.

"I had no idea what basketball was, but I figured I was tall for a reason," said Sarosi who has come so far in five years, she has been selected FLORIDA TODAY'S 2004-05 All-Space Coast Girls' Basketball Player of the Year. "The first game I played at Madison Middle School, I scored for the other team and then ran down the floor and started playing defense and got a three-second call because we were on offense. We won like 85-4 and I scored two of the four points for the other team."

Sarosi isn't scoring for the opponents any more, but she's doing more than her share for the War Eagles, averaging 16.4 points along with a team-leading 9.4 rebounds and 68 blocked shots.

"Stephanie's understanding of the game has gotten much better," said her coach, 27-year veteran Gregg Hostetler, who was voted FLORIDA TODAY'S 2004-05 All-Space Coast Girls' Basketball Coach of the Year. "She does a good job posting up, but she doesn't have quickness around the basket, so she has developed other things like stepping out and shooting from the perimeter and using little hook shots and reverse lay-ups. Each year she has shown steady improvement with her skills and her finesse around the basket."

A varsity member since her freshman year, she already is a two-year starter and said the basketball court is where she feels most comfortable.

It's there, she said, where her height is desirable, but otherwise, it pretty much a pain.

"Everyone stares at me and asks how tall I am about 10 times a day. My dad (Wayne Sarosi) says I should just get a shirt that says, 'I'm 6-5.' "

Sarosi combined her skills with those of her teammates, including fellow All-Space Coast first teamer LaQuita Curry, to help the 26-3 War Eagles advance to the Class 4A Final Four and to help Hostetler improve career record to 504-241. Astronaut also Hostetler completed his 27th year as the War Eagles coach with a 26-3 record and a third Final Four appearance and an overall record of 504 and 241.

Although she already is being highly recruited by a boatload of colleges -- she has received letters from 85 different schools, Sarosi continues to hone her skills by playing AAU hoops with a statewide team known as the Florida Shockers. It's her second year with the team and she said it has been a tremendous benefit.

"We play tougher competition in AAU so it has really helped me," she said. "It's tough, but it helps. I can't wait until next year already. I can't believe it's going to be my senior year."

Sarosi, who has a 4.0 grade point average, hasn't started to narrow her college choices except to she wants to stay in the Southeastern part of the country and she wants to make a career in optometry.

These days the War Eagles' standout knows where she's going.

Contact Caywood at 242-3684 or bcaywood@flatoday.net

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?&Dato=20050418&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=504180348&Ref=AR

She knows NOW where she is going.  ;D

Some more pics:

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=A9&Dato=20050212&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=212005&Ref=PH&Item=6&MaxW=225&MaxH=375

Astronaut's Stephanie Sarosi (40) blocks a shot during Saturday night's game against Rockledge High in the Class 5A, District 8 girls basketball game at Astronaut High.  Image by Craig Rubadoux, FLORIDA TODAY

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=A9&Dato=20050212&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=212005&Ref=PH&Item=9&MaxW=225&MaxH=375

Astronaut's Stephanie Sarosi (40) grabs a rebound over Rockldge's Jessica Conner (1) during Saturday night's Class 5A, District 8 girls basketball game at Astronaut High.  Image by Craig Rubadoux, FLORIDA TODAY

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Nice pickup - she will be a USF superstar imo

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Our lowest paid coach continues to shine above the rest.  Congratulations Jose and welcome Stephanie!  Look forward to seeing you on the hardwood!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

WOW, great pickup!  That is huge!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Excellent !

Welcome !!

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  127

Jose continues to dinstinguish himself.  Nice pick-up.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

He continues to get the talent in the door.  A starting five of Grace, Dickson, Miller, Sarosi, and either Parsons or Sheats at the last wing spot can really do some damage.  It looks like the next NCAA banner to go up in the Dome will be for the ladies.  Get your tickets now Bulls fans...