• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Hobbie Resignation Release:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

When he returned in 2001, he put together an up-tempo offense that would finish 13th in the nation with 35.18 points per game and 22nd in passing with 273.18 yards per game. Through the 2001 and 2002 seasons, Hobbie’s offenses averaged 33 points and 262.59 passing yards.

Funny how effective the offense was with a more than adequate qb in there ......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393

Of course, Hobbie was forced to resign. If he wanted to "pursue business interests" he would have done so shortly after the end of the last football season. Carl Franks was an offensive coordinator at UF, correct? He will be our new OC.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

He was Asst Offensive Coordinator at Florida and RB Coach:

Coaching Experience

Year School/Team Assignment

1984 Garner (NC) High School Defensive Coordinator

1985 Tampa Bay Bandits Running Backs

1985 Virginia Military Institute Receivers/Tight Ends

1986 Tampa Bay Bandits Running Backs

1987 Duke Running Backs

1988 Duke Running Backs

1989 Duke Running Backs

1990 Florida Running Backs

1991 Florida Recruiting Coordinator/RBs

1992 Florida Recruiting Coordinator/RBs

1993 Florida Recruiting Coordinator/RBs

1994 Florida Inside Linebackers

1995 Florida Assistant Offensive Coordinator/RBs

1996 Florida Assistant Offensive Coordinator/RBs

1997 Florida Assistant Offensive Coordinator/RBs

1998 Florida Assistant Offensive Coordinator/RBs

1999 Duke Head Coach

2000 Duke Head Coach

2001 Duke Head Coach

2002 Duke Head Coach

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/football/staff/carl_franks.htm

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

the spurrier comment was a joke.... although he did make a comment at one point about being an advisor or something like that if his son came here

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Funny how effective the offense was with a more than adequate qb in there ......

I couldn't locate a copy of our 2001 schedule with a brief search, but I'm pretty sure we played a weaker schedule back then. And I'm not 100% sure, but a lot of those gaudy statistics came from racking up yardage and points against I-AA teams.

Guest S.  Bien

I couldn't locate a copy of our 2001 schedule with a brief search, but I'm pretty sure we played a weaker schedule back then. And I'm not 100% sure, but a lot of those gaudy statistics came from racking up yardage and points against I-AA teams.

If you won't give him credit for 01' then how about 02', or are we to presume everything Hobbie did based on some revisionist history was bad?  Some of those stats were against 1-AA teams, but we also had a lot of 1-AA talent on our team.

Just be glad you and others got what they wanted.   After 01' and 02' Hobbie was perceived as a nice change from the "Wacky Bull" of Canales.  Once the new QB's came in (Banks and PJ), and we all agree they were not very managable QB's then suddenly it's Hobbie's fault and he's the scape goat.  Right or wrong he's gone now so we can move on to speculate what's best for the team.

The offense is already in place, so whomever is going to take over the reigns isn't going to change the offense, at least not for next season.  So all most can hope is they change the play calling.   Leavitt likes the wide open offense, and the offensive changes have already been made so let's hope the new guy gets it going or the boards will be turned upside down with complainers if the new OC doesn't perform up to expectations.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

whatever this board thinks doesn't matter.  Hell, many didn't like Canales and he ended up in the pro's, goes to show what we know.   If Hobbie's gone, apparently leavitt & co didn't like the results being displayed.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

If you won't give him credit for 01' then how about 02', or are we to presume everything Hobbie did based on some revisionist history was bad?  Some of those stats were against 1-AA teams, but we also had a lot of 1-AA talent on our team.

Just be glad you and others got what they wanted.   After 01' and 02' Hobbie was perceived as a nice change from the "Wacky Bull" of Canales.  Once the new QB's came in (Banks and PJ), and we all agree they were not very managable QB's then suddenly it's Hobbie's fault and he's the scape goat.  Right or wrong he's gone now so we can move on to speculate what's best for the team.

The problem is that his system did not match the talent he had a QB.  A  good coach would realize that you cannot put a square peg in a round hole.  Why is that so hard to understand?  

Blackwell made him look like a genius; PJ and Banks made him look like an incompetent fool.

Goodbye and good riddence.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

told you so

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Well, Leavitt doesn't "have a time-table" ... "to replace" ... sure it would have to be Hobbie ... but the Trib. did mention Magee from WVU

Go BULLS !!!