• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Still Teetering Between QB Prospects

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It still is

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243
  • Days Won:  0

Pat Zier has a mullet and Pat Julmiste has to sit.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey folks. just fyi, i talked with leavitt today and he said any talk of Carlton Hill changing positions is very inaccurate. he said Hill will be a quarterback this fall and won't be changing positions, whether he's competing for the starting position or not.

greg

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I also would be curious to know what Hill thinks about CJL's statements that he will most likely playing at WR this year, isnt the whole reason he turned down Miami's offer because he believed he would get a chance to play QB here.  To me if I were in Hill's position I would interpret that to mean if I don't come in and win the spot right away they will red shirt me and give me a shot in spring practice, like that they are talking about doing with Grothe.  I don't see him being happy about coach making that statement.

Where exactly did Coach make the statement that he will most likely be playing WR this year??

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Sorry BBB, I initially read the article out of context, CJL didnt make the exact statment that Hill would move to WR he said  "He'll get a chance to play quarterback," Leavitt said, "but we need to find a place for him. He's a tremendous athlete and he should be able to help us." However it is implied he will be playing somewhere if not at QB in that statement.  Where I got a little mixed up was when the writer took the liberty to state " If Hill doesn't end up at quarterback, he might develop into the go-to receiver the Bulls need."  

Regardless my point still stands, Hill is probably not going to be very happy about the talk of him being moved already, he came here because he wanted a shot at QB, and coming in as a true freshman and getting 2 weeks before the season to try and win the spot against experienced QB's doesnt seem like the legitimate shot he was looking for.

there is no way they can redshirt both looks like Hill is going to WR by that statement but as was said take the media with a grain of salt. Grothe not worried at all just wants his shot!

Now flipflop, I dont understand why we can't redshirt both.  You dont redshirt a player until after the season, so we could do with Hill and Grothe what we did last year with Gachette.  We have them both dress as backups and let Denson, PJ, and Severino run the show at QB, and if they get the job done then at the end of the year we redshirt BOTH Hill and Grothe, if they dont play well and you want to give them playing time so be it.  

But if we do redshirt them, they will both have a fair chance come this spring at the QB job. From the statements I have from Carlton Hill over the past few months, that is all he is asking for.  If this were the scenario that played out, and come spring he didnt win the starting job, he would probably not mind moving at that point.  But asking a true freshman to come in just a couple weeks before the season and beat out incumbant QB's for the spot in such a short amount of time, that doesnt seem like the "shot at QB" he was expecting from USF when he turned Miami's offer down in February.  If he wanted to play WR in September he would have signed with them.  I dont think redshirting him and giving him his shot come spring is too much to ask, I know he is a tremendous athlete and we all want to see him play, but this is what the coaching staff promised him, remember?  And there is something to say for keeping your word.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126

Hill is already 20 yrs old I believe.  I don't think he'll look too kindly on a redshirt year.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

You have missed the entire point, somehow I am not surprised.  

According to his OWN statements that were documented in numerous articles throughout the entire recruiting season (you can run a search on this board to refresh your memory) he stated he wanted a chance to play QB.  He was offer a scholarship to go to Miami, but was told he would most likely play WR there, an thus he was not interested.  Even after several Miami QB prospects decommit and they contacted him to see how strong his verbal to USF was he never swayed from his committment to us, even with the knowledge that Miami was willing to give him a chance at QB because of thier decommittments he stayed strong, and eventually signed with us.  All for the chance to stay at the position of his choice QB.  

So if he is moved to another position this year by the coaching staff, without having a legitimate shot a the QB job, from what I gather from HIS statements in the past, "I don't think he'll look too kindly on" that.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Greg said he spoke with Leavitt today and Hill will be playing QB, so evidently the article was somewhat misleading.

BTW, Hill has indicated in the past that he does not want to redshirt.