• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

75-76 basketbulls 19-8 record

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Haha in all seriousness hopefully one day we can catch up.

Looking forward to it!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

The Auburn loss at home (Curtis Hixon Hall) in 1975 was a devastating loss. One of their guys hit a shot at the buzzer to win the game for them. There was no three point shot back then. Steve Mazza and I were the team managers and I was also a statistician for that team. Just a great starting five! Guard Doug Aplin was a terrific sharp shooter. If I remember correctly, Aplin scored 41 points again FTU (Florida Tech) at home. That was a team individual scoring record at the time. That school was not yet re-named UCF. The previous year our head coach, Bill Gibson, died of a heart attack in July and Chip Connor was then named our head coach. He had been Bill Gibson's lead assistant. Both Bill Gibson and Chip Connor had come to USF basketbull from the University of Virginia in 1974. Gibson had been named ACC coach of the year a few years earlier and he completely turned around our basketbull program in the one year he was head coach. I believe we were 15-13 in his one year as coach after the previous coach led our team to a record of  several games below .500. Coach Gibson was such a nice guy and a super coach. He died young, only in his fifties.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I love it when something brings out CoralSpringsBull and his memory of USF basketball.  A walking history book.  Thanks.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks, Brad. I may not remember anything from my USF math education classes but I do have a pretty terrific memory of my days working with the mens basketbull team. 

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

18 hours ago, Brad said:

I love it when something brings out CoralSpringsBull and his memory of USF basketball.  A walking history book.  Thanks.

he is amazing

much of that era is now a haze too me but i had such a great time.

it seems like it was just fun fun fun