• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sam Barrington made his first start at LB last night

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Flashback:

Parker LB Barrington picks USF

Recruit recorded more than 100 tackles last season for the Braves.

By Hays Carlyon Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 10:19 pm | updated Wed, Feb 4, 2009 @ 7:47 am

The last remaining high-profile area recruit has made his collegiate choice.

Parker linebacker Sam Barrington committed to South Florida at a private party Monday night held at the nightclub Eclipse. He’ll sign his letter-of-intent at a 9 a.m. ceremony on Wednesday. Barrington (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) is a three-star recruit according to the Web site Rivals.com. He chose the Bulls over Illinois and Miami.

“I feel good that my decision has been made,†Barrington said. “It was very tough. I had to do what’s best for me. It’s a relief.â€

Barrington wavered over each school and really struggled to reach a final conclusion. He met with Parker coach Jim Scible for close to two hours on Tuesday afternoon for advice. After his announcement, Barrington confessed that he had made his final choice only about 15 minutes before his public announcement.

“It’s been an ordeal,†Scible said. “I’m glad it’s over for him.â€

During his senior season, Barrington recorded 109 tackles, while rushing for 1,200 yards and 17 touchdowns.

“I’ll start at linebacker, but playing running back is an option,†Barrington said. “I think I can play early, but I’m more focused on getting better.

“South Florida is an up-and-coming program. On my official visit, I felt great about everything. I fell in love with some of the coaches. I want to major is business administration and I’m just looking forward to the future.â€

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/2009-02-03/story/parker_lb_barrington_picks_usf