• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Herget Earns Invite To Team USA Training Camp

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: May 29, 2014

Web Release: http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209511194

Herget Earns Invite To Team USA Training Camp

Like USF Baseball on Facebook

Follow @USFBaseball on Twitter

TAMPA, May 29, 2014 – Jimmy Herget has earned an invitation to compete for a roster spot on the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team.

Herget will is slated to participate in the team's training camp starting June 19, while the final 24-man roster will be announced on June 29.

“It’s a great honor to have the USA name across my chest,” said Herget. “To be able to go out and represent my country and play the game that I love is unbelievable.”

“I knew if I had a good year like I did last year, I would be in consideration for a spot on the team” Herget added. “My focus was to do my best for USF and give us a shot to win every time I pitched. I know if I did that, I would be having a pretty good year and have a chance at making Team USA.”

After being named a Freshman All-American last season, Herget put to rest any ideas of a sophomore slump in his first outing of the year against NCAA tournament bound Liberty by shutting the Flames down over seven innings. The success continued all season long as Herget finished the year with a 1.26 ERA, the lowest single-season mark in school history. In fact, his career 1.48 ERA it the lowest in school history amongst pitchers who have started at least 25 games.

“I can’t tell you how happy I am for Jimmy and his family,” said pitching coach Lance Carter. “Every accolade Jimmy gets this year he deserves. I think a lot of people understand Jimmy Herget is one of the elite Friday night starters in college baseball. What he’s done against some of the best competition this year, his numbers speak for themselves.”

The 2014 Collegiate National Team will be coached by Arkansas head coach Dave Van Horn. The team's assistant coaches include Rob Childress (head coach at Texas A&M), Ray Birmingham (head coach at New Mexico) and Steve Rodriguez (head coach at Pepperdine).

The Collegiate National Team will play games against Chinese Taipei and Japan on U.S. soil while also making trips to The Netherlands for the Honkbal - Haarlem Baseball Week and to Havana, Cuba for a Friendship Series against Cuba. The Collegiate National Baseball team begins play on June 21 with the Red, White and Blue Tour in various cities across the United States.

- #GoBulls -

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Wait, so camp begins June 19th, and they start touring on the 21st? Before the 24-man roster is announced? Does not compute.

Congrats to Herget, definitely a deserving kid and a great rep for the Bulls.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wow.

Congrats Mr. Herget!

Enjoy the ride, and play your heart out for your country!

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

Where is he projected to be drafted? What's his fastball velocity? How's the command? What breaking pitches does he throw?