• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm ashamed of student government for this

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Love the Cowbells.  Lets make some noise and support the team.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Note to TSA:  Ban cowbells from RJS.

• Downvote 1

I know this isn't really a tradition but it could evolve it to a few traditions based on how well it works. 

IDEA

Get our professors and TA's more involved with our athletics programs. I remember when I was going to USF there were some prof's that would schedule tests the day of a big game resulting in students missing out on a great college experience that they could never get back. It seemed like most prof's only cared about their Alma mater and is something that should change as they are an employee of the school and should want to see the University receive as much attention as possible. It also helps them out in the long run since the school will make more money to help pay for their salaries.  

So my thought was to institute some co-ordination between athletics and faculty, who would then bond with their students showing school pride. I remember most of my prof's never having a clue about what was going on with the school and could care less. That attitude needs to change and fast as it only makes us feel more like a commuter college. 

One idea that came to mind was for a professor to give extra credit to students who attend a game of their choosing.

Or offer a prize to the class that invents and implements the best new tradition at a live game each year. Would also be good for the classes with high student to faculty ratio's(500+ students) since it would offer more opportunities for the professors to get to know their students. You figure a majority of the undergrad pre-req courses are usually large classes that could easily make a huge scene at a soccer, baseball, softball, basketball or other sporting event and start a tradition. Those classes are usually not very critical in a students development as they are basic courses.  

I know education comes first but we could easily start to show more emphasis in our love for our school through our teachers and students cheering for their fellow classmates together and showing school spirit/pride.

You have to figure with all of the professors we have and the schools they have gone to they probably have some great ideas or similar traditions they could start here(think Mr. Two Bits). It's not like most traditions are unique to that one school, most our copied from other schools but with their own twist.

Just a thought?

Maybe even try to get the different colleges to compete against each other by promoting their college(i.e. COBA vs. Education vs. Engineering) . You can't get any better advertising for free than having 500+ students in uniform doing something in unison that promotes your college. Especially if it's on national TV and who knows how many prospective students you can lure with your tradition by them wanting to be a part of it when they go to college. Also it doesn't have to be on TV, all it takes is a phone and YouTube and it can go viral!

If that does take flight I bet our Engineering program can come up with some pretty sweet ideas considering their talent with robots and other mech engineering.

The faculty/staff sections are two of the fullest sections in the stadium.

Extra credit for going to a sports event is total BS!

Why ban the CowBells?  They make too much noise or something?    Thats the purpose , to give us a homefield advantage by making noise.   Thats what we are supposed to do.

How about this for a tradition, Have the fans/ students ect... actually show up and be in their seats 30 minutes prior to kick off to get the team pumped up, be there as they warm up ,for the Band and the player introductions.  Than actually stay the entire game (not leave in the 3rd and 4th qts).  

Never could understand how or why our fan base shows up midway thru the first qt only to leave in the 3rd qt. This unfort has been our programs tradition. 

Its not like games are at a bad time of day(most are 7pm starts).      

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Dhambuc

Why ban the CowBells?  They make too much noise or something?    Thats the purpose , to give us a homefield advantage by making noise.   Thats what we are supposed to do.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/noise.aspx

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/noise.aspx

Apparently you havent been to that many USF games,  We have nothing to worry about, As I mentioned above our fans arrive late, leave early,.  Thats all 20-30,000 of them.   On a good day.  And when they are there,  they are usually sitting on their hands, too busy getting drunk, socalizing, ect... to make noise.   Its Football, Its supposed to be loud,

if your worried about ur ears, wear ear plugs.

Edited by Dhambuc

If I'm not mistaken you're a student, which in all likelihood means I have been attending games for almost as long as you've been on the planet.

Raymond James Stadium - Prohibited items include:

• All food, drinks, cans, bottles and glass
  • Backpacks, duffel bags or large bags
  • Drugs and narcotics (prescription medication exception)
  • Banners or flags with sticks or poles; items that could obstruct view
  • Video cameras and cameras longer than 12 inches (includes body, lens and filter)
  • Coolers and hard containers
  • Artificial noisemakers (air horns, bullhorns, whistles, vuvuzuelas, etc.)
  • Items that could be missiles or projectiles
  • Lasers
  • Pets (except assistive animals)
  • Recreational balls and equipment of any type (including footballs)
  • Seat cushions
  • Skates, skateboards, skate-shoes, all cycles and Segways
  • Strollers
  • Umbrellas or anything that would obstruct view
  • Any item that can’t fit under a guest’s seat
  • Unlawful weapons/fireworks (except those required by Florida Law or the Licensee’s admission policy)*

Not a student,  Im prob older than you but will take the compliment, (Im not a spring chicken, Prob have socks older than you but thats not the issue we are discussing lol). I know the sport of Football and Noise is part of the game.Its actually encouraged, They even tell those who have no clue about the game to "Make Noise" on 3rd and 4th downs on the Jumbotrons.  You should pay attention to it.

Ive Been going to USF games since the first game in the old Stadium. Been to all bowl games but the one in Toronto.  Season Ticket holder for FB and BB.

Im also aware of Raymond James stadium policies(which I dont agree with all of them btw). They are not consistant either when it comes to Bulls and Bucs games. If you go to Bucs games people actually stand Yell, scream ect... and no one complains, its actually encouraged. But if you stand at USF games the Ushers come and tell you to sit down. 

Also Bucs games offer the great experience of pat downs, Which they dont do at USF games.  

I know they dont allow cowbells, I understand their reasoning, but its not because of the Noise factor you first mentioned above. Its becuase of the "Weapon"  issue.  USF could if they wanted  allow CowBells, they just need to notify the TSA and Possibly add a clause to the stadium lease. Not a big issue. Just like we allow Beer sales at our games , Not all NCAA conferences do this. This is something that the BE, USF allow.  It is part of the contract.

So my question is why wouldnt you support something that gives us a homefield advantage? Your answer was hearing Originally.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  901
  • Days Won:  0

i dont mean to be personal but mvi is either a crank, faculty, or some schlep profiting from school funds. when trying to make things better his jaded opinion should be ignored.

• Upvote 1