• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hall Will Be Marked Man

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

South Florida RB Hall Will Be Marked Man In '05

Published: Mar 24, 2005

TAMPA - While South Florida auditions for its starting quarterback job during the spring, the role of first-team running back is set with the return of Andre Hall, who briefly thought of entering the NFL draft after his record-breaking junior year.

``I think he knew it was in his best interest to come back and get another year under his belt,'' running backs coach Carl Franks said. ``By coming back, it will give everybody a chance to evaluate him better.''

Last season - his first as a Bull - the 5-foot-10, 205- pound Hall set several school rushing records, including yards in a season (1,357), carries (210) and touchdowns (11).

With the unsettled situation at quarterback and the loss of three starters on the offensive line, Hall will be a marked man this season.

``He knows now he's going to have to work that much harder, '' Franks said. `` Last year, no one really knew of him. Now everybody knows he's our main guy and a 1,300- yard rusher. He's going to have to really prepare this year.''

Franks said he'll use spring practice to find a capable backup. In the mix are Hillsborough High graduate Ricky Ponton, Anthony Gaines and Chad Simpson.

``We have some good competition among those guys,'' Franks said. ``They all have to be able to play.''

http://bulls.tbo.com/

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

...and the loss of three starters on the offensive line...

That scares the crap outta me...

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

with a good qb hall will run  for 1500 yds

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I saw him walkin' around campus today and I wanted to tackle him from behind and tell him that he's the man!  But yeah, I didn't, lol.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Do you really think you could tackle him?  I'm 225 and I used to play, and the only way I could picture getting him down is by blindsiding him on a cutback (basically be there right as he changes directions, so he doesnt have momentum your way) or connecting on a wrestling move like a double leg, shot, or ankle pick.

Of course, if he's in pads you could always jam your hand down his shoulder pads and let him drag you, later knocking him down by chopping the back of his knees (though that gives up 5-7 yards :( ), or by getting mowed down and tripping him up before he gets away (how I used to take down former UF running back Ernest Graham...but im a couple years behind him so what would you expect).

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

This could be a blessing in disguise.  It will not put a lot of pressure on the QB in the Pocket.  And it will give us the perfect opportunity to run the play action and really tear those defenses apart.  Bulls96go hit the nail on the head.  If we can get the pressure on Hall in the beginning of the season, and get it off the QB and allow him to get comfortable, running the play action will then open up the offense, and allow for a good running AND passing game.  We just need Hall to stay healthy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

That scares the crap outta me...

We've got some talent on the O-Line ... I feel pretty good.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

We've got some talent on the O-Line ... I feel pretty good.

Go BULLS !!!

Leavitt added that sophomore Eric Thomas, who moved from defensive end to tackle, and freshman offensive linemen Matt Huners and Jake Griffin are having impressive springs. Also, sophomore Jared Carnes of St. Petersburg has moved from tight end to offensive tackle.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBSAQCVP6E.html

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

It will be interesting to see how the Hamburg Hulk does in spring practice.  He certainly has the size.  I'm hoping he turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

He was a marked man after the fourth game last year and it didn't stop him.  If Denson is the starting QB next year his mobility will make defenses crazy and make it very difficult to stack the line too much.