• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Get Past Hatters Without Collins

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls Get Past Hatters Without Collins

Brock sparks a 16-7 run in the final four minutes of USF's 63-54 win Monday night in DeLand. Collins did not play as USF improved to 4-2.

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA – USF found itself in a tie game with Stetson late in Monday’s second half and the Bulls used a strong team effort to make their first road trip a success.

Martino Brock provided the go-ahead layup with 4:06 remaining and USF went on a 16-7 run to get past the Hatters, 63-54, at the Edmunds Center in DeLand, Fla. All of that was accomplished without star point guard Anthony Collins, who was resting a calf muscle that’s been bothering him since the start of the season.

A relentless defense also played a key factor in USF getting to 4-2 before the Bulls face SEC foe Georgia on Friday night. Stetson (2-2) shot 38 percent from the field and the Bulls held the Hatters 28 points below their season average. USF has held 16 of its past 19 opponents to 60 points or fewer dating back to last season.

“I expected a tight game. Playing without Anthony Collins, I knew we’d be a little out of sync,” head coach Stan Heath said. “I was pleased our defense came to play. When we needed a stop, we made a stop and had some rebounds on the defensive end.”

The Bulls’ defense really clamped down on Stetson late while the offense got rolling after Brock’s go-ahead bucket. Kore White followed with a tip-in, Toarlyn Fitzpatrick added a layup and five straight points from Jawanza Poland put USF well on its way to a winning streak.

Fitzpatrick finished with a game-high 20 points, Brock added 10 and Poland recorded a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

“They were just better than us in the last three minutes. That’s all it comes down to,” Stetson head coach Casey Alexander said.

USF heads home to the Sun Dome to prepare for Friday’s 7 p.m. game against the Bulldogs that’s part of the Big East-SEC Challenge. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

I was waiting to hear how the Bulls did. Good read.

Will be a good game Friday.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Georgia's going to be a tough one ...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I want to see more root canals!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Trip, if AC plays well, I think we'll be fine. They need to crash the boards and draw fouls to pickup free throws. The team generally shoots a good FT%; I feel like if AC can dish the ball inside, it'll allow us to draw fouls and open up the perimeter for easier shots.