• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Band During Basketball Games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  210
  • Days Won:  0

Man......I am glad they are physically there instead of us playing our songs through speakers like we used to, but that chant they do when the other team is on offense is EMBARASSING.

If you haven't been to a game and don't know what I am talking about, everytime the other team dribbles the ball, they yell "BOUNCY" every time it touches the ground and then "WOOO" when they pass it. It's awful. Just make noise, ya rejects.

Sorry, had to complain about something other than football.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Man......I am glad they are physically there instead of us playing our songs through speakers like we used to, but that chant they do when the other team is on offense is EMBARASSING.

If you haven't been to a game and don't know what I am talking about, everytime the other team dribbles the ball, they yell "BOUNCY" every time it touches the ground and then "WOOO" when they pass it. It's awful. Just make noise, ya rejects.

That's what happens when the BAND is leading your CHANTS. If students would actually show up, they could run their own evil schemes.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111

That's what happens when the BAND is leading your CHANTS. If students would actually show up, they could run their own evil schemes.

I think the bigger issue is, and correct me if I'm wrong, cause it's my first year here, but it seems there are no real chants that are traditions to begin with (other than the basic school songs, etc, that most people don't know anyways)... cause sitting in the student section at every basketball game so far, i've actually heard some of the students jump in on the "bouncy, woo" chant... and yes... embarrassing. I hate to say we should go take ideas from other schools, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for the student rally groups to see what other big time schools are doing chant wise and form some USF tailored chants around what other schools are doing and then get people on board using them by any means, even if that means working with the athletics dept to make a video of the chant and play it at various times during the game to get students/crowd doing the chant. Cincinnati actually did a pretty cool video with their "Down the Drive" chant that the school has done for a long long time, but used Justin Jackson (one of the basketball players) in the video to get the crowd into it, and when the entire arena caught on and did the chant, it was pretty awesome... and we had the same issues there where only a select few knew the chants, fight song, etc. Just an idea!

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

3rd year student here. Always front row. If you've been to games this year, I'm the guy that wears the animal on his head. Anyways, the chant is actually "boing" when the opponent dribbles, and "wooo" when he passes. Yeah it's stupid, but it's something we try to do to get people involved because it's easy. No real words to memorize.

We try to get chants, cheers, etc started from our portion of the student section, but it just seems like no one else is interested. Not hard stuff either. Seems like none of them want to get off their ass and yell. It sucks, but we're doing our damnedest to try and get more students involved.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Love to see stuff like this, don't give up guys. When the whole house is bouncing like duke and unc in the future, you can say you started it all!

3rd year student here. Always front row. If you've been to games this year, I'm the guy that wears the animal on his head. Anyways, the chant is actually "boing" when the opponent dribbles, and "wooo" when he passes. Yeah it's stupid, but it's something we try to do to get people involved because it's easy. No real words to memorize.

We try to get chants, cheers, etc started from our portion of the student section, but it just seems like no one else is interested. Not hard stuff either. Seems like none of them want to get off their ass and yell. It sucks, but we're doing our damnedest to try and get more students involved.

I hear you, it's not easy.. but the students that are really into it have to create that culture of standing and getting into it, getting their friends to come and get into it, etc. Whatever it takes to make that happen (i.e. the video idea i mentioned, coordinating with athletics to play 7 nation army or some catchy song that everyone sings along to, jumps to, whatever) Unfortunately, the team itself has to put an exciting product on the court to really get the crowd into the game, and this year so far has likely put more people to sleep than gotten them to stand up, but let's hope things take a 180 by the Big East schedule and we can play some really meaningful big home games and really get the crowd pumped up, BUT i would definitely try to get something going w/ athletics regarding some way to get people pumped up, whether it's a video, song, chant, etc. It's gotta be something better than the boing and woo thing though, something that the majority people actually would WANT to do

Edited by CincyBull

Another idea that could be interesting that I saw first hand was a "mic man", when Cinci finally got good at football but no one knew chants, etc, they had a student leader that they gave a microphone to and they built a small stage in the corner of the student section for him to stand on and lead people through the cheers and pump the crowd up, there were try outs similar to how the mascot tries out (but again, this kind of requires a big crowd that's excited about the team). Cinci only had to do this for one year because after that year the students kind of caught onto the chants and the student group that's the equivalent to USF's Student Bulls Club led the entire student section with the chants typically, though impressively, some smaller little groups of fans would start chants at times as well. anyways, just another random idea for the future, and this was used for football, but no reason it couldnt in theory work for basketball, if nothing more than to get people to actually know some chants, fight song, alma mater, etc.

At every USF game so far (football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc) I could probably count on one hand the number of people that actually KNOW the fight song and alma mater. I think they should flash the words across the video board at Ray Jay or something so people that want to learn/sing/say them can, cause honestly I don't know them, and there's not really an easy way for me to learn them unless I wanted to look them up on USF's athletics page and memorize them. As a freshman at UC we got these little plastic cards that could attach to a keychain that had the alma mater on one side and the fight song on the other, had to be a cheap and easy way and it got me to learn both pretty quickly.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

This. +1000000

My highschool of 1600 students had more passionate student turnout for basketball than USF. Even the other night against Western Michigan, it was a 3 point game and we needed a defensive stop and the majority of the students were sitting on their rears being quiet. WTF?!?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  210

I am not downing the effort, because it is appreciated. Just downing the execution.

I realize our fans suck, but when the other team has the ball nothing beats good old fashioned noise. Everyone will catch on. Just no more boing woo crap.

Edited by Xavier

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

bouncy, boing, woo. sounds about on par with our fanbases' sports intelligence. lol

on offense, you either go "let's go usf, let's go! (clap clap) or do the green! gold! chant. something that is intermittent and not a constant noise to our players on offense. if not that, then do this: ____________ (silence)

on defense, you should be doing something like 'Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' while bouncing up and down to distract the other players (granted our students are not in their forward eye periphery until the 2nd half).

the u-s-f chant is bush, it should be saved for when you win a game or during a timeout during a comeback or something. that chant is a "rise" chant. the band doesn't help, playing the fight song every 2 minutes, come up with something better, nerds!

^ totally agree tho, i guess i can't blame the students for being uncoordinated, at least some of them are trying. at the ucf game, the two student sections were okay, the other 15 sections wrapping around the 3rd level were full of kids staring at their phones or busy making out with skanks.