• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WNIT GAME - USF vs. UF

Guest Anthony Mozzicato

Guest Anthony Mozzicato

Come support your Lady Bulls as they host UF Thursday night at 7 PM in the Sun Dome.  Once again, our Women's Basketball team has earned a spot in a post season tournament and everyone should come out and support them Thursday night!  Tickets are from $7 - $10.  $4 for Students.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  0

can we put this at the top please

I know it is a bad day with the NCAA tourney starting but come out and support this team.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

Is the game on TV?

USF First Round WNIT Game To Be Aired Live On WTBN And WTWD Radio  

Tampa, FL (March 16, 2005) – The USF women’s basketball team’s first round game against Florida in the 2005 Sportsview.tv Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT) will be aired live on WTBN AM 570 and WTWD AM 910. Airtime is at 6:55 p.m. with tip off coming at 7:05 p.m. The game will not be televised either live or on a tape delay basis.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

we tied... friggin refs said there weren't enough people there that cared to keep officiating a women's NIT game...

But great job Jose! I'm proud of you and the girls! Way to spank that gator ass!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Gilmore Helps Usher In A New Identity For Once-Dormant Program

JOEY JOHNSTON

Published: Mar 18, 2005

TAMPA - The University of South Florida Bulls once went 15 consecutive seasons without winning a single game - not one! - in their women's basketball conference tournament. Mediocrity was an unreachable goal.

After Thursday night, there's a new way to describe USF women's basketball.

Bracket-buster.

In today's information age, there must be a subterranean culture that fills out a Women's National Invitation Tournament bracket, right?

For the rest of you, yes, the WNIT exists.

And the Bulls will live to see at least one more game.

Anedra Gilmore, USF's senior point guard, made certain of that. She's the biggest reason the Bulls defeated the Florida Gators 61-56 in a WNIT first-round game at the Sun Dome, giving USF women's basketball (21-10) its first victory in postseason play.

She broke a tie with 2:20 remaining, driving down the right lane and scooping in a layup to make it 58-56. In the closing seconds, she drew a charge from UF's Tishona Gregory - and even popped up from the collision by doing some push-ups.

``Spur of the moment,'' Gilmore said. ``I wanted to show her that I was strong.''

Happy, too.

``This moment is why I came here,'' Gilmore said.

Fiery, Vocal Leader

It's always a big deal when USF beats the Gators - in anything. For women's basketball, defeating an SEC opponent is meaningful, even though the Gators (14-15) took a step backward this season.

It's an even bigger deal when it looks like your basketball career is 20 minutes away from extinction. There's so much talk about the future of USF women's basketball, how far it has come, the influx of young players, moving uptown to the Big East.

That's fine.

But in the locker room, down five points to Florida after once trailing by 12, Gilmore was not thinking about the future.

``At halftime, I told the girls I didn't feel like we put in a lot of effort,'' Gilmore said. ``I told them, `Hey, this is it for me. You've got to give me your best effort.' ''

``She will do that,'' USF coach Jose Fernandez said. ``She will speak her mind. When I walked out, I'm sure she took care of some things in that room.''

Or, in the words of sophomore Jessica Dickson, ``Nedra isn't one to hold anything back.''

That's why USF coaches, upon seeing her play in junior college, knew that Gilmore was precisely the leader needed for a program finally looking to make its mark.

Championship Attitude

Gilmore helped Gulf Coast Community College, in Panama City, to the national junior- college championship and a 35-0 record.

``Once you know what it feels like to be a champion, you never want to lose again,'' she said. ``Going into the Big East, this program needs that experience. I hadn't seen that kind of fight before, but they're getting it.

``You can't be scared of any other team, regardless of their ranking, regardless of their record. We're a Division I school, and we were recruited for a reason. If you're scared, if you hesitate, then it's just like piranhas in the water. It's over. You've got to come in with an attitude.''

A winning attitude significantly forged by Gilmore, whose first name, by the way is spelled A-n-e- d-r-a. Not Andrea. Although her last name is Gilmore and she's from Jacksonville Wolfson High, there's no relation to Artis (A- Train) Gilmore, the former NBA All-Star from Jacksonville University. ``People have confused me for [Artis Gilmore's daughter] my whole life,'' she said.

Fernandez isn't confused.

``I'll tell you who she is, one of the toughest competitors I've ever seen,'' Fernandez said. ``Down the stretch, she just wouldn't let us lose.''

It's the new identity of USF women's basketball - toughness and swagger. The future looks bright, but Gilmore wants the present to last as long as it can

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBU5XCWF6E.html