• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did you notice this during that Houston game??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

A win is a win is a win.  Just enjoy it.  Maybe Mac had an intuition about wanting to play Houston in the tournament.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

OK 83. I also want to point out that our offensive play was much better prepared against Houston then the past two games. Did you notice on how Terrance was setting up screens for Swift around mid court to help advoid Houston's traping defense??? It was so smooth that Houston basically coundnt force the big turnovers like they did against us in the previous games. Sure, our turnovers were more than I can handle, but I am telling you that USF would have had at least 5 to 10 more turnovers if it was not for our good coaching on both sides of the ball. And for someone that states that it was no big deal that there was an adjustment made, I dare you to look at how many adjustments our prevous coach made while he was at USF. I seem to remember losing to Memphis three times in one season because of the lack of adjustments from the 1-3-1. Face it, you are going to have to go root for your soon to be North Carolina team and be happy because I doubt USF will meet your Final Four expectations like Carolina will.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

i never really liked Greenberg much due to his streetball game, so comparing CRM to SG does nothing for me.

also, just like to point the reason we won last night... Leather and Swift, both past regime players.  CRM still hasnt proven himself as a great recruiter in my mind, so it will be very interesting to see how he does with almost exclusively his players next year.  Rumblings exist that one of the best of his recruits may not be around next year, but who knows for now

nice pickup on the UNC btw...   ;D

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

CRM coached these players... in case you didn't realize it wasn't SG doing it.  That shows mac's coaching abilities.

Rumblings schmumblings... if you are talking about Dennis, that is just Cyberbull commenting he "hopes dennis doesn't get run off"

That isn't substantiated... just his thought.

Dennis will be here and be a huge part of our team.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

CRM coached these players... in case you didn't realize it wasn't SG doing it.  That shows mac's coaching abilities.

Rumblings schmumblings... if you are talking about Dennis, that is just Cyberbull commenting he "hopes dennis doesn't get run off"

That isn't substantiated... just his thought.

Dennis will be here and be a huge part of our team.

never heard Howie talk anything about that, but thats not the basis of the rumblings

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

never heard Howie talk anything about that, but thats not the basis of the rumblings

So what is it then?  This is only a message board.  Nobody will hold you to it.  

Guest S.  Bien

What the frick are some of you guys talking about?

We came out in a 2-3 match-up zone.  That was completely different from the other defenses we played Houston in all year.  Houston plays a 3 and sometimes four guard set, so we combated it with 2-3 guards ourselves.  

It was masterful, Coach Mac came out and completely changed defensive schemes for this game.  Great coaching, and some of his play calling out of the timeouts really kept us in the game during the middle part, he had one that was a great play to Leather and we scored.

The three ball isn't what hurt us in that zone, the **** announcers told everyone what was happening, UH made a great adjustment and started flaring their forward to the front post and screening one of the guards allowing Smith, Owens, and/or Lathan to dribble penetrate.  Then they had the option to take it to the hole, or pass to the base-line where their two other guards flared out spotting up for trey's as our defense collapsed on the driver.

It was a great adjustment by UH, but sloppy play by us.  What got them back in the game wasn't just the adjustment, it was sloppy play and the fact they weren't missing a **** thing.  

In the second half when they took the ten point lead that announcer was wrong, we were still in a 2-3 match-up zone, we played it most of the night, we only slipped into man for a couple of two minute stretches.  The match-up zone can seem like man because guys match-up with whomever has the ball in their zone.  The difference was in the second half we got lazy, in the first 5-7 minutes our zone compacted, we missed easy shots, and let UH get a gift 10pt lead- it should have never happened.  When it got to 10 pts, Mac's big adjustment was to extend the zone with some subtle half-cour traps.  This got UH out of their gameplan, their guards had trouble dribble driving because they were being fronted by 2 guys 30ft from the hoop.  

Usually when that happens teams start pushing the ball inside to force compaction from the zone however UH really has some ineffective forwards.  Their most effective is that Byer and he's more of a wing.  They had no effective play inside so they lived and died by their guard play.  Once we extended the zone further it contested their shots and ability to dribble penetrate.  It didn't give their guys a chance to spot up, and they missed a few pivotal shots.

Conversely, because of UH's awful interior players they had no answer for Leather.  He could have scored all night in the paint.  In fact that's what was upsetting me is we sometimes spent so much time rotating the ball, instead they should have just fed it to Leather until he couldn't stand, then those guards would have collapsed on him (no other choice) and he could have kicked it out for easy trey's.

However someone has the answer for us and it's today because Cinci has about three answers for Leather- Hick, Maxiel, and White.   This game Leather needs to be far more patient, and if we're smart in the early going we'll use him as a decoy  

Coach Mac did a great job not being afraid to come out in that match-up zone.  If we played man-on-man against UH, their fast guards would have killed us, especially since Dennis was hurt.  We wouldn't have had enough fleet of foot guys to match-up with their 3-4 guards that play almost interchangeably.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

We need to force Cinci to win from the outside.