• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Basketball MVP?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Greg Auman, from the St. Pete Times, published a story today with this comment:  

"Brian Swift deserved better...The Bulls senior wasn't among the 15 players honored on Conference USA's postseason all-conference teams, despite finishing second in the league in assists and eighth in scoring.

Granted, teammate Terrence Leather, a second-team selection, was the only player honored from the lowest five teams in the standings. But Swift played a bigger role in his team's success and had better statistics than any of the four guards named to the C-USA third team."

Rest of Greg's article

Who would you select as the team MVP - or, using Greg's words "played a bigger role in his team's success"?

There is a poll attached for your selection.  Thanks.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I think that's a fair statement when compared to other players who made the all-CUSA teams over Swift. But Leather played a bigger role than Swift in USF's success, limited as it was.

Guest 19usf96

I voted for Swift.  Besides what he did on the floor, as far as numbers are concerened, he provided something that Leather I feel just did not provide consistently enough, if at all, LEADERSHIP!  Your best player, stats wise, should not be getting suspended.......USF96

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I think that's a fair statement when compared to other players who made the all-CUSA teams over Swift. But Leather played a bigger role than Swift in USF's success, limited as it was.

Definitely in agreement MM.  

Also, I think Marlyn gets my sentimental vote for MVP, and/or my Most Improved vote.  I was much impressed with TL, but Marlyn came through with unexpected performances that I think deserve some recognition...perhaps not on the C-USA teams, but when the Basketball Banquet rolls around, I hope he is "well awarded".

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

i choose marlyn cause that guy puts his heart out on the court day in and day out.  he might not have the numbers, but i haven't seem somebody play like he has, in a long time, he sacrifices his body for loose balls, like he has no care in the world.  by far in my book, hes the MVP

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Swift IMO for MVP!!! What a very emotional player Swift is to the team out there on the floor. Everything to the technical called on him against Houston and to the smiles he has out there on the court. The way Swift stood up for Bryant because he got shoved in the back was the way he proved that he is going to protect his teammates. That showed me a lot, and I am glad that Dennis is getting a good year of study from Swift for next season because we will need the leadership. It should not be a surprised that Swift reminds you of a Reggie Kohn type player because I know Swift learned a lot from playing behing Reggie. So Reggie, if you read this thread, I just want to thank you again for your hard word and leadership shown while you were at USF. Thanks again, and hopefully Swift can pass the leadership role onto Dennis for the next years to come.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743

I have just changed my vote to swift from leather having watched the first game and a half of the tourney.

Having not seen any of them play before hand and am not super impressed by swift, whilst leather is well deserving due to this points and rebounds over the season, I can now see the reasons for swift.  He is a true leader, wears his heart on his sleeve.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

I say, give each of them one-third of a vote. They've all been outstanding leaders and players in their own way.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

leather

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

I say, give each of them one-third of a vote. They've all been outstanding leaders and players in their own way.

Thanks, Joe Paterno...