• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anthony Henry to be released

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Cowboys sign free-agent cornerback Henry

07:34 PM CST on Wednesday, March 2, 2005

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Held hostage by the right cornerback spot in 2004, the Cowboys made sure that would not be the case in 2005 by signing free agent Anthony Henry on Wednesday to start opposite Terence Newman.

The Cowboys are banking on Henry handling the right cornerback spot. A year ago, they used four starters: Pete Hunter, Jacques Reeves, Tyrone Williams and Lance Frazier.

In four years with Cleveland, Henry intercepted 17 passes. He had four interceptions last season, while starting 14 games. One of those interceptions came in a loss to the Cowboys at Texas Stadium.

A fourth-round pick from South Florida in 2001, Henry intercepted 10 passes, which led the AFC and tied for the league lead. At 6-1, 205, Henry is considered by scouts to be a physical player with the ability to make plays.

The Cowboys intercepted only 13 passes last year and had just seven by their cornerbacks, led by Newman’s four.

With Henry, the Cowboys can use second-year players, like Frazier, Reeves and Nate Jones in their nickel and dime packages.

The Cowboys will hold a 10 a.m. news conference Thursday to announce Henry's signing.

The Cowboys continued to negotiate with Jets defensive tackle Jason Ferguson, who was at Valley Ranch on Wednesday. Packers guard Marco Rivera, also an unrestricted free agent, was set to arrive in Dallas on Wednesday evening.

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/030305cpcowsign.fd5378af.html

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

nice!!!

way to go Ant.

build Estero a nice lil football stadium

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Aw man, does this mean I have to start caring about the Cowboys?  :-[

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Great news for him, AWESOME!  

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

Great news for him, AWESOME!  

EXACTLY!!!

you dont think that Ant wasnt a bucs fan?

its business,  stop complainin about rootin for the cboys.

ROOT for HIM.  

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

CB signs; source says DT Ferguson also in the fold

Cowboys get their hands on CB Henry, DT Ferguson

11:59 PM CST on Wednesday, March 2, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Owner Jerry Jones, who vowed the Cowboys would be aggressive in the off-season, spent $20 million in signing bonuses during the first day of free agency.

The Cowboys signed cornerback Anthony Henry to a five-year, $25 million deal that included an $11 million bonus Wednesday, and a source close to negotiations said defensive tackle Jason Ferguson signed a five-year, $21.5 million deal that had a $9 million bonus.

Henry, who spent his first four seasons with Cleveland, will earn $18 million over the first three seasons of the deal, which includes $1 million roster bonuses in 2006 and 2007. He will be introduced at a 10 a.m. news conference today.

"There were a lot of suitors interested in Anthony Henry," said the player's agent, Jerrold Colton, "but when it came to the Cowboys, they took care of business."

Ferguson, who spent his first eight seasons with the New York Jets, will earn $11.5 million over the first two years of his deal.

Now, the Cowboys can focus on signing Pro Bowl guard Marco Rivera, who arrived in Dallas on Wednesday night and had dinner with team officials.

The Cowboys headed into free agency with about $17 million in salary-cap room and hoped they could sign Henry, Ferguson and Rivera in the first two days. Then, they want to wait a couple of weeks for the frenzy to slow and see if they can find bargains at free safety and backup running back.

Signing Henry and Ferguson provides an immediate upgrade to a defensive unit that finished 16th in the NFL and allowed 25.3 points a game after finishing No.1 in total defense the previous year.

It also indicates the Cowboys are seriously considering a shift to a 3-4 defense. Ferguson (6-3, 305) was near the top of the Cowboys' priority list because he's a run-stuffing defensive tackle capable of playing nose tackle. In a 3-4 defense, a nose tackle who commands a double-team is the key player in the front seven because his presence allows at least one linebacker to flow freely to the ball.

Ferguson arrived in Dallas on Wednesday morning in owner Jerry Jones' private jet, and spent much of the day at the club's Valley Ranch training complex meeting with coach Bill Parcells and members of the staff. After reaching an agreement, he returned home.

A year ago, the Cowboys balked at giving cornerback Antoine Winfield a $10 million signing bonus, and he eventually signed with the Minnesota Vikings. This time, the Cowboys decided to ante up.

Henry, courted by at least eight teams, intercepted a pass in the Browns' 19-12 loss to the Cowboys. At 6-1 and 205 pounds, he's a physical player who is not timid in providing run support. He has 17 interceptions in four years, including 10 as a rookie. In the last 20 seasons, only five players have had as many as 10 in a season.

He has started 37 games in the past three seasons and recorded a career-high 85 tackles. More important, Henry should provide stability at right cornerback, where Pete Hunter, Jacques Reeves, Tyrone Williams and Lance Frazier each started games.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/030305cpcowsign.fd5378af.html

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

$25 million deal including a $10 million signing bonus!

WOW  :o