• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My case for the Bulls to dance.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  188
  • Days Won:  0

Making a case for South Florida’s inclusion in the dance.

Most national sports journalist would have you believe the Bulls are not deserving of an invite. I couldn’t disagree more. I will attempt to put to rest the main three items keep being brought up by most of the media, including some local area media personnel.

First Argument: The media loves to talk about the out of conference losses. There were 6 losses before the conference season started. All of the loses were on the road. Three of those loses are considered acceptable (Kansas, Southern Miss, VCU). Almost everyone list the first two teams as being in the tournament and VCU on the bubble. So lets look closer at the other three losses. Old Dominion: The team was playing without their leader, in point guard Anthony Collins and also without one of its key returning players from the previous year in Poland. Penn State: again no Collins and no Poland and a nicked up Gilchrist, who played on 13 minutes. Auburn: no Poland. From what I have heard over the last 30 or so years of being a die hard college basketball fan, the committee always takes into account key players missing games.

Second Argument: They haven’t played anyone and haven’t beaten any marquee opponents. Through Sunday, 2/26/12 game against Cincinnati the official NCAA site that the committee uses, USF strength of schedule is 27. With well over 300 NCAA basketball programs having a tougher schedule than more than 300 other teams sounds pretty impressive to me. Their RPI is 46. Special note: A lot of teams according to the media haven’t played anyone of high caliber but there are only four teams in the entire country not to lose to an unranked opponent since December 28, 2011. They are Kentucky, Syracuse, North Carolina and USF.

Third Argument: The Bulls benefitted from and unbalanced conference schedule. First off schedule are made well in advance when teams like Pittsburg and Villanova were thought to be very tough opponents. The main point I would like to make here is the national media is right this was a very unbalance conference schedule. As a matter of fact USF is the only team in a BCS conference, probably any conference (I was to lazy to check all conferences) that had no home games against the top five teams in their league. Thats right all games against the top five were on the road.

In conclusion, I believe that one win in the last two games and due diligence on the committees part and USF is in the dance.

Bob Wolf c/o 83

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,493
  • Days Won:  13

Dont see it. I dont see any teams in that are at large bids that we deserve to be in over. Not to mention there will be some surprises in conference tourneys which will take away bubble spots.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

one more argument could be made that we didn't play a single true home game all year. could make an interesting story line. We are 18-11 on the road.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Dont see it. I dont see any teams in that are at large bids that we deserve to be in over. Not to mention there will be some surprises in conference tourneys which will take away bubble spots.

This.

Archived