• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

S BIEN

Guest Harvey Jones

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Turkey,

I doubt many if any of those names listed were considered a top 100 recruit in the country. Did you see where the bottom of the top 150 go? They go to places like Wake Forest, Alabama, and Gonzaga not USF. Besides top recruits don't always make for good team players. Just ask Billy D up in G-ville about that. Half of those guys chose USF because of the closeness to home.

What is wrong with CRM trying to build a "team"? It seems to work well in the NFL for the Pats. No real superstars just pieces of a puzzle that work well together. We never saw that with Seth's teams. CRM is a much better floor coach in my opinion. I am pretty excited about seeing CD progress. He looks like he could be real good with a little confidence. Teams are built with role players not superstars.

Jimmy B is a good guy. Never blamed him for leaving to concentrate on Track when he knew team would be rebuilding. Suprised he didn't do it before the season started.

I believe ALL of those names among several others listed were in fact ranked in the top 150.  He was a good recruiter and brought a good deal of talent to USF.  IT IS possible to get better players than what we have coming in.  Noone expects MCD AA's but we expect better.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

dabull,

I'm sure the players appreciate the fact that you make that drive to come see them as much as I appreciate it as a fan. Sometimes it can be downright difficult watching them play.  

Penders is an excellent coach. He coached at Texas so I think he has connections in the area. Mac moved from a different geographical area. I believe we tried to get the assistant from Florida but he wanted no part of this job.

If you look at Houston's roster, most of the contributing players are Juniors with a senior leading scorer and a soph. I'm not sure he gutted the program like CRM did. I imagine that if we had B-MO around we might be about at their level.  He has 3 recruits and only the soph 2nd leading scorer contributes.

The BE will be a huge challenge and probably will be a rocky road for sometime. Anyone believing we can find a coach to come in and compete (recruiting wise or record wise) in the BE right away is somewhat delusional. Especially when we are hiring on the cheap.

We are the only team in the NBE to have never been in the Final Four!! We only make the tourney every other decade. How do you sell that to recruits?

I think the only way we will build a competetive team is to do it with role players and maybe a superstar every once in awhile and most importantly solid fundumental coaching. We will never win anything on talent alone.

Markey Mark,

Syracuse holds over 30,000 screaming fans for basketball games. They have been to many final fours and have won a Nat Champ. That's an easy sell to recruits. Most of their players come from the NE. Heck if you asked any top 100 recruit where they would rather play Syracuse or USF what do you think their answer would be?

We can't expect the same. Not now. CRM is rebuilding the program from the ground up. I expect it to only get better. Until he shows that he has hit his limits(i.e. Greenie not being able to get over the hump and get us into NIT or NCAA in years) then I think we need to give him a chance.

I like his philosophy and coaching style. I'm sure CRM is doing everything he can to improve this program.

Dude are you kidding me? Last year doesn't count. CRM was left with crap!

This year the team has been very competitive and ejoyable to watch knowing the lack of depth and talent. Give him at least two more years to show what he can do with a team full of his own recruits!

Stop complaining and just support you team and school!!

CRM was not left with "crap"  He was left with much better players than he currently has.  He chose to purge what he felt were bad apples rather than compromise one iota.  This is the year 2005, you aren't going to build a competitive D1 college program without a few bad apples.  Ask UCF's George O' Leary.   Coaches have had to deal with bad attitudes since the beginning of time.  Coaching requires flexibility and the ability to deal with opinions other than those similiar to your own.  CRM cannot and will not.  Coaches have taken over programs with less and done more.  Heck, if CJL had the same philosophy as CRM our beloved pride and joy football team may have gone 0-11 too...

I believe ALL of those names among several others listed were in fact ranked in the top 150.  He was a good recruiter and brought a good deal of talent to USF.  IT IS possible to get better players than what we have coming in.  Noone expects MCD AA's but we expect better.

Any proof of this? Top 150 players in the country? Several others? I thought he was a good recruiter but that doesn't win you anything. BB was from Lakeland, Altron from Sarasota, Leather from St Pete. Could this have factored in their decisions?

CRM was not left with "crap"  He was left with much better players than he currently has.  He chose to purge what he felt were bad apples rather than compromise one iota.  This is the year 2005, you aren't going to build a competitive D1 college program without a few bad apples.  Ask UCF's George O' Leary.   Coaches have had to deal with bad attitudes since the beginning of time.  Coaching requires flexibility and the ability to deal with opinions other than those similiar to your own.  CRM cannot and will not.  Coaches have taken over programs with less and done more.  Heck, if CJL had the same philosophy as CRM our beloved pride and joy football team may have gone 0-11 too...

Tell that to Bobby Knight. I believe he has won 3 Nat Champs his way. Sound basketbal, team before player. I believe if CJL were more disciplined, we would have won more games. We certainly wouldn't lead the NCAA's in penalties every year.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Leather was from Tampa -Robinson High

You can get away with having some riff raff on football teams since you have 100 players...  you can't afford to allow problem kids on a basketball team if your philosophy is team first.  Seth didn't care about the team first attitude and that worked moderately well for him.

THAT ISN'T what Mac's philosophy is, as you have acknowledged... that is how it is and that is how it will be... success will either come within a couple years more or he'll be gone... and by success i mean continual improvement, which has happened thus far.

Kelvin Brown comes to mind immediatly as another top 100 recruit.  I'm not the recruiting guru but I'm sure Baker, Waldon, and Jackson fit this criteria.  It's been posted here before.  It may have something to do with them being local but I am proud enough of my university to EXPECT to get the local studs.

I agree he didn't take us to where we wanted to be but my point was that IT IS possible to get these guys to come here.

Tell that to Bobby Knight. I believe he has won 3 Nat Champs his way. Sound basketbal, team before player. I believe if CJL were more disciplined, we would have won more games. We certainly wouldn't lead the NCAA's in penalties every year.

When was the last time Knight won a national championship?

And those type of guys will not work in Mac's system, period.

BB is the one of the bunch that is the closest fit, but still, with his drugs are more important than the team attitude, even he would not work.

Kelvin?? NO WAY... he didnt' even work for Seth, and that says alot!

Tron was a great player for us.

We'll find top players that want to play for us as a team... Cann is a good example... the injury was during his junior season... its healing fine... and he was much higher rated than ANYONE you have listed.  Anyway, Time will tell