• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Lands `Crown Jewel' In QB Hill

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

USF Lands `Crown Jewel' In QB Hill

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Feb 3, 2005

0201hill.jpg

MONTICELLO - Sitting on a shelf near a window behind the receptionist's desk in Jefferson County High School's main office is an almond- colored fax machine.

This morning around 7:30, Christine Ford will press the send button and transmit her son's signed letter-of-intent to a Florida university.

For the past few months, there have been contradicting reports whether the fax containing the signature of her son, Carlton Hill, rated one of the nation's top quarterbacks, would be sent to the University of South Florida or the University of Miami.

But Hill has known all along. In fact, Hill confessed he's known for the past six months - he's headed to USF.

Hill admits sending mixed messages to reporters and even recruiters ``so they would have something to talk about,'' he said, with a slight smile. ``I wanted to keep their heads twisted. I just wanted to add a little suspense and mystery to it.''

While the mystery officially ends today, the suspense only begins. Is the 6-foot-2, 202-pound Hill, a PrepStar All-American with a rifle arm and legs of a gazelle, the solution to USF's never- ending quarterback problems since Marquel Blackwell left three years ago?

``Athletically, there's no question,'' Jefferson County coach Jeff Schaum said. ``Football-ability wise, there's no question. But playing in front of 700 fans in high school and 70,000 in college is a big difference.''

Added Jamie Newberg, national recruiting analyst for Scout.com: ``He's a little raw, but if he does all the necessary things he could turn into a very good quarterback at the next level. He's a significant pick up for USF. The crown jewel of their recruiting class.''

Schaum said Hill reminds him of a mix between NFL quarterbacks Daunte Culpepper and Michael Vick. ``He's a Vince Young [Texas' quarterback, who was MVP of the Rose Bowl], he's the same type of player,'' Schaum said. ``He's physical. He can make something happen out of nothing.''

In earning all-state honors as a senior, Hill threw for 1,764 yards, 20 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He also rushed for 888 yards, averaging 6.1 yards per carry, and 12 touchdowns. Hill would have approached 1,000 yards, but a 99-yard touchdown run against Quincy Munroe was nullified by a penalty ``completely away from the play,'' Schaum said. ``He was already at the 50, when they threw the flag.''

No Line, No Problem

Hill carries a quiet confidence that borders on cockiness. Nearly everyone in this small town near the Georgia border calls him ``C4,'' a combination of his first name, No. 4 jersey number and style of play. ``You know,'' Hill said, ``explosive.''

Because of Hill's talents, coaches from 49 colleges visited Monticello last spring.

``There's really no limit to my game,'' Hill said. ``I feel like I'm the best at everything I do. I pretty much bring my `A' game all the time.''

Schaum said Hill played behind ``absolutely no offensive line'' last year, but Hill said that actually may have helped him.

``It's nearly impossible to sack me,'' Hill said. ``It's like I have eyes in the back of my head. I just feel the pressure.

``When I look back at my high school career, I thank God for not letting me have an offensive line because it will make me better in the long run.''

Junior defensive end Robert Nealy has known Hill since eighth grade and honors his friend by wearing Hill's No. 4 on his basketball jersey.

``He's kind of quiet, a funny guy,'' Nealy said. ``He likes to get a laugh out of you. He's not real selfish. He'll do whatever to help the team.''

Hill said he's excited about playing at USF. ``They're a team, a true team,'' he said. ``I love the brotherly love there. They just have a few weak spots here and there and can only get better.

``Or speaking as a future Bull, we can only get better.''

Hill's athletic career nearly ended, before it ever really got started.

When he was 12, Hill and a childhood buddy were shooting at trees for fun in some woods near his Monticello home.

Thinking the gun was out of bullets, Hill squeezed the trigger. However there was still one bullet remaining. It ripped through the ring finger on his right [throwing] hand.

``That was the turning point for me,'' Hill said. ``I was a problem child growing up. I was doing `little devilish' things. From that point on, I've been an angel.''

Mom Was A Football Influence

Ford told her son the fact something worse didn't happen to him was a sign.

``I said, `Son, God has a purpose for you,' '' Ford said. ``He wants you to throw the ball.''

Ford, who has been a school bus driver in Monticello for the past 25 years, still can't believe her son has drawn so much attention.

``Being from a small town, it's hard to grasp it all,'' Ford said. ``You see it happen to others, but how can he be the biggest recruit? I thank God he's my son.''

And Hill can thank his mom for his aggressive running style.

When he was 11, Ford took her son into the back yard for a quick lesson.

``He would stop when tacklers came up, so I showed him how to run over people,'' she recalled, laughing. ``He had to lower his shoulder. But I don't know where he learned his stiff arm, though, because he has a good stiff arm.''

On a recent chilly afternoon, Hill's arms are pumping as his smooth, long strides swallow up the school's asphalt track.

``I'll tell you one thing,'' said track coach Harry Jacobs, also the school's assistant principal. ``Everything he does, he does 100 percent. He's a perfectionist. He's a hard-working student.''

At last year's Class 1A state track meet, Hill won the 200 meters in 22.14 seconds and anchored the Tigers' state champion 4x400 relay team. However because Hill, who was held back in school as a youngster, is 19, he can't defend his titles at this year's state meet since he will exceed the FHSAA's age limit.

Hill, though, continues working out with his teammates and will run in some meets as an unattached runner.

Lilla Anderson, Hill's aunt and Ford's sister, said there's more to her nephew than his athletic ability.

``He's a nice, well-rounded young man who was brought up in a spiritual family,'' Anderson said. ``He goes to church and is well-mannered. He learned how to love God and treat people right.''

And, of course, there's that sense of humor.

``I like to have fun,'' Hill said. ``You know, play practical jokes.''

If Hill had his way, the school's drama room would be decorated for today's signing day ceremony in Miami's colors, complete with green and orange streamers and crepe paper.

``And then at the last minute,'' Hill said, ``I pull out my USF hat.''

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBE95M2P4E.html

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Hallelujah!  

He is using WE and Bulls... i love it all ready!

C4... cool nickname

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

** HAPPY DANCE! **

NAM37

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266
  • Days Won:  0

730 am has passed.....i wonder if the fax came in