• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Football easier to recruit than BB in FL?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

I feel like we've been progressing, year after year, recruiting good to great talent in football.  

I know it's a comparison between apples and oranges, but you have to wonder why exactly are we having a tough time getting top talent in BB.

Many of us have said it is because of:

-We haven't done much, such as winning consistently in BB.

-The Sun Dome is not a great sell.

-Attendance is always poor.

-Community support beyond Temple Terrace is non-existent.

-etc., etc.

But is basketball just not a big draw here in the state?  Maybe because there are usually just one or two studs on a h.s. team as opposed to several or even more on a h.s. football team.

It seemed like, especially this year, we have picked up good - great talent (potential talent) in FB.  And it's been progressing each year.  Is it because the program is new, where our BB program has been around and it is known to struggle?  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

much easier

all the talent is here

only the most incompetent should fail in football in florida

(see ftu/ou/oc 30 year old football program)

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

It's strange too me for some reason.  There are basketball courts every where.  You can play this year round and don't even have to find all of your friends to play.  You would think we would have a ton of talent to go around.

I do notice here that there are not a lot of BB camps for middle school and h.s. players.  At least I don't see them.  In Chi-town where I used to live, there were camps all year round all over the place.  The camps had a strong marketing campaign by the organization and the city itself.  Both inner-city and the suburbs.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

The short answer is yes, it is easier to recruit football than it is basketball.

Even the blue-chip players who come from Florida for the most part go out of state.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Answer is easy: yes.

Florida is a top 5, easily....probably top 3 state when it comes to overall high school football talent.

Basketball, on the other hand, Florida is probably just a middle of the road state. So, it's probably less about USF and more about their location....in basketball.

Guest wildrover
Answer is easy: yes.

Florida is a top 5, easily....probably top 3 state when it comes to overall high school football talent.

Basketball, on the other hand, Florida is probably just a middle of the road state. So, it's probably less about USF and more about their location....in basketball.

I'm not saying I disagree but UF has had a strong BB team the last few years, UCLA has had its share of top teams, as well as teams from the Midwest and Northeast.  colleges from all over the country have had solid BB teams, including FL.  I think the question might be how does USF get over its location problem, what did UF and Eddie Munster do to cure their BB woes?

Yeah, what has happened at UF is friggin extraordinary.

Other Florida schools need to copy their blueprint.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Miami and Florida St have done well for theirselves at recruiting. I believe the recruiting will get easier since we are heading ot the BIG EAST. Also, I believe the SUN DONE renovations should help because kids love to see the big score boards with their names and stats on them. They dont want to see some old fashioned score board that has no video replays. The additions of the video scorboards are long overdue IMO. Even TULANE and ECU have video score boards in their dumpy crack jack box arenas.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, what has happened at UF is friggin extraordinary.

Other Florida schools need to copy their blueprint.

Blueprint? OK - first, be a state flagship school 2 hours from the nearest town, nothing to do besides study, tip cows or go to local sports events. Second, have a huge donor base (see above comment about being a flagship university.) Third, skim the top talent from the state of Florida and combine that with top-TEN recruits from all over the country (yes that's 10 with one zero, not top-100 which USF is lucky to land one of those every other year.)

Hint: we cannot do this the UF way, it has to be built the USF way

What I mean was, UF sucked forever. No one cared about bball at that school.

Then BOOM, theyre a powerhouse.