• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

JUCO OT Will Latu

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Picked up offer from USF. Plans to enroll in January. We could use him.

Canyons OT makes it a baker's dozen

07/06/2011 JCGridiron.com

One of the hottest recruits in the nation picked up another off in the early part of the week, running his total to 13 for the year. The former Florida prep product picked up an offer from his home state on Tuesday.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/jcgridiron/football/recruiting/player-Will-Latu-124961?colleges=show#college_choices

Some background info:

Justin Miller HomeTeam by tampabay.com

I don't know if you guys ever cover the recruits from the bay area that choose to go the JUCO route, but this kid, Will Latu, deserves some love. Gibbs graduate class of '09. He has 11 scholarship offers so far. Also is the cousin of current Gator and former SPC star Jon Halapio.

933972.jpg

http://rutgers.scout.com/a.z?s=183&p=8&c=1&nid=5603922

• Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

He is committed to West Virginia as of this evening.

He is committed to West Virginia as of this evening.

I saw that. Too bad.

He better like cold weather.

• Content Count:  21,354
  • Days Won:  10

Good luck to him, WVA program got of lucky with the 2 year probation. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,694
  • Days Won:  424

I saw that article in the paper yesterday and one part kind of jumped out at me:

Before planning a trip to come see him last year, Will tried to talk his parents out of it. He told his father “Dad, I know we don’t have any money …â€

Pete’s voice trails off when remembering that moment, and he has to choke back the emotions.

It would be interesting to hear what his decision to got to WVU was ultimately based on. Sounds like USF would have been the perfect spot based on that little tidbit ...

I saw that article in the paper yesterday and one part kind of jumped out at me:

Before planning a trip to come see him last year, Will tried to talk his parents out of it. He told his father “Dad, I know we don’t have any money …â€

Pete’s voice trails off when remembering that moment, and he has to choke back the emotions.

It would be interesting to hear what his decision to got to WVU was ultimately based on. Sounds like USF would have been the perfect spot based on that little tidbit ...

I read somewhere that he wanted to go to a smaller city with less distractions. Perhaps, he thought he might be better off playing away from Tampa.

I read somewhere that he wanted to go to a smaller city with less distractions. Perhaps, he thought he might be better off playing away from Tampa.

Here is that article:

MAY 29, 2011

WILL LATU, OL, 6-5, 315, COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS, CALIFORNIA

Latu has offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas State, Boise State, New Mexico, Oregon State, Louisville and Kansas State

Oregon State Slight Leader

“I like the O-Line coaches at Arizona and Oregon State. I actually went up there (Oregon State) for an unofficial visit so that was pretty cool too.†Latu said

“Mike Cavanaugh (OSU) the offensive line coach wants me to lead the offensive line, to get a chance to win a national championship.†Latu said

“I like the atmosphere up their (Corvallis) it felt like home again. Not too many problems I can get into out there. The school is nice, the people are nice. I can definitely see myself being a part of the community up there.†Latu said

Likes Small College Towns

“Corvallis is a small town and what not. I’m not looking for big city bright lights. Look for a school where I can feel comfortable at, where I can start somewhere to get my degree.†Latu said

Sun Devils Pushing Hard

“Arizona State calls every other week asking me how I’m doing,†says the former Tampa Bay native. “Same stuff like the others schools have. I like how they are going to come back next year because they have a solid defense. So they have a shot at talking over the whole conference. They need people to come in and lead the offensive line too.â€

“I’m A Prickâ€

“I’m a ***** when it comes to football. I really don’t care about the other team-get after it. Put points on the board for my team. What every needs to be done I’ll do it for my team.†Latu said

“I’ll probably commit in December when I take some visits. I have two years to play. I’m looking at academics too graduation rates, if they have my major stuff like that.†Latu said

http://www.huskerjournal.com/recruiting.php

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,694
  • Days Won:  424

I guess it makes sense from that standpoint. It just seemed that the family aspect seemed pretty important to him ...

I guess it makes sense from that standpoint. It just seemed that the family aspect seemed pretty important to him ...

He also has a good relationship with the WVU OL coach and likes the fact that another Cal JUCO did very well up there. Having said that, perhaps when he comes back to Tampa over the summer he might change his mind. Stranger things have happened.

Archived