• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Have SunDome Renovations Started?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Yes and No.

The barriers you saw were most likely the construction from the Muma Center.

The actual renovations to the SunDome have not begun, aside from the clearing out the offices and equipment. Demolition and remodeling should begin June/July.

They haven't done any demoing at all? I realize they haven't started in full force but I could have sworn someone on here said that they had one of the old seats already ... I coud have been dreaming that, though.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

If the $20,000,000 was put aside, then why haven't they  "gutted" the building????

You don't gut ANYTHING until you have all the plans finalized.

ESPECIALLY if you're taking about the architects and builders plans

Not jumping on his side but I'm pretty sure the plans are finalized. When we were at the Muma center last week, the specifically asked Bill if we were to see the plans for the Muma Center or the SunDome project. The plans are in the trailer... Bill also stated that all changes had been signed off on and everything was finalized. If I remember correctly, someone actually asked the question about the money. Bill replied that the money was all in place and it was something of a permitting issue or something of that nature that was defining the start date.

On our tour I did notice that there were no dumpsters with anything from the Sun Dome in them... all the refuse was from the Muma Center. At the same time, they could have started removing seats and such and just put it all in the center of the floor till the paperwork is signed.

One more thing... they could be waiting on the Muma Center to be a little more complete as it's the same contractor.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

If the $20,000,000 was put aside, then why haven't they  "gutted" the building????

USF not on top of things again...what a shock. These plans should be been finalized months ago.

USF not on top of things again...what a shock. These plans should be been finalized months ago.

You must be a closet UCiF fan.... reading apparently isn't a requirement for you.  ::) The plans were finalized you idiot....

Guest Sunburned

Not jumping on his side but I'm pretty sure the plans are finalized. When we were at the Muma center last week, the specifically asked Bill if we were to see the plans for the Muma Center or the SunDome project. The plans are in the trailer... Bill also stated that all changes had been signed off on and everything was finalized. If I remember correctly, someone actually asked the question about the money. Bill replied that the money was all in place and it was something of a permitting issue or something of that nature that was defining the start date.

On our tour I did notice that there were no dumpsters with anything from the Sun Dome in them... all the refuse was from the Muma Center. At the same time, they could have started removing seats and such and just put it all in the center of the floor till the paperwork is signed.

One more thing... they could be waiting on the Muma Center to be a little more complete as it's the same contractor.

The work removing (gutting) the seats and folding stands from the Dome wouldn't be done by the same people that are doing the finishing Muma.

If the requirement to set the $20,000,000 aside was met, why wouldn't that work have commenced? 

Greg Auman has yet to report that the money has been set aside.

They didn't select the company to design/build until January.  And in a project like this there are a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross in terms of contracts and project plans (not architectural plans, but the project plans for the process and method and order in which things are done).

Bill McGillis said it was taking longer to dot the i's and cross the t's than they expected -- and work would begin in June.

The work removing (gutting) the seats and folding stands from the Dome wouldn't be done by the same people that are doing the finishing Muma.

If the requirement to set the $20,000,000 aside was met, why wouldn't that work have commenced?   

The money was set aside right after the Board of Governors approved it.  With a large endowment, it's not hard to set aside $20 million as collateral for a loan.

God it's like trying to hammer a nail into a cinder block with you... you either just don't get it or don't want to get it...You seem to have trouble understanding... so let me try to put this so you can understand.

The contractor doing the work at Muma is the same on that did the baseball/softball, soccer and will do the Sun Dome job... the FINALIZED PLANS FOR THE SUN DOME RENOVATION are already in the construction office outside the Muma center. My guess is they'll start on the Sun Dome once the Soccer Stadium is complete.

Also, Greg was standing about 2 feet from me when Bill told us that everything was ready to go save for some paperwork glitches... that the money was in place for the project. My guess is that he hasn't reported it because he was asked not to... Bill asked that he not do an article on the information from that afternoon. That's called class and professionalism...  ::)

Guest Sunburned

Sorry but the set aside has not been officially approved yet.   That's why work has not started on the Dome.

USF (BOT) will be holding a public meeting on June 2, 2011 to approve the finance plan for the USF Arena and Convocation Center.

Here's a link to the document that hopefully will get signed then. It's not official until the fat lady sings.

http://system.usf.edu/board-of-trustees/finance-and-audit/pdfs/upcoming-meetings/052611/arenaproject.pdf

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Don't you just love bureaucracy at work, making things work as slow as possible.

Archived