• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Have SunDome Renovations Started?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

I live up in North Carolina but I'm down here in Florida on vacation for this week up until the end of next weekend.  I was in Tampa today and drove by to see the new baseball stadium... noticed that there were construction barriers and stuff at the sundome.  I thought the remodel was on hold pending state approval of the proposed budget?

I'm not gonna lie, part of my curiosity is that I would really love some of the old seats if they're being replaced.  I don't expect to be back in the area again until Christmas so this would be my one shot, but I thought the process had been delayed.  Did renovations start?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  728
  • Days Won:  0

Yes they have, the trophies have been moved and most HS graduations have moved to the Tampa Convention Center.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Yes and No.

The barriers you saw were most likely the construction from the Muma Center.

The actual renovations to the SunDome have not begun, aside from the clearing out the offices and equipment. Demolition and remodeling should begin June/July.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I live up in North Carolina but I'm down here in Florida on vacation for this week up until the end of next weekend.  I was in Tampa today and drove by to see the new baseball stadium... noticed that there were construction barriers and stuff at the sundome.  I thought the remodel was on hold pending state approval of the proposed budget?

I'm not gonna lie, part of my curiosity is that I would really love some of the old seats if they're being replaced.  I don't expect to be back in the area again until Christmas so this would be my one shot, but I thought the process had been delayed.  Did renovations start?

The Sun Dome itself hasn't started ( I believe)

The barriers and construction is due to the Muma Facility on the south side, and the Dining Facility on the north side, along with the expansion of the Fitness Center, directly next to that.

Outrunner and Dogma are correct. The actual renovation work has not started because there was some paperwork/contract delays.  The work, according to published reports (Greg?) I read, should start next month.

Guest Sunburned

Florida Board of Governors OKs debt for USF Sun Dome

Tampa Bay Business Journal

Date: Friday, March 25, 2011, 10:27am EDT

University of South Florida Financing Corp. is expected to borrow up to $26.5 million for renovations at the Sun Dome.

The Florida Board of Governors approved the debt with several contingencies, including a condition is that the USF Foundation and the USF Board of Trustees approve a set-aside of $20 million to guarantee the interest and principal on the debt.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2011/03/25/florida-board-of-governors-oks-debt.html

That was two months ago.....so, until USF sets aside the $20,000,000 the renovations cannot begin.  

Florida Board of Governors OKs debt for USF Sun Dome

Tampa Bay Business Journal

Date: Friday, March 25, 2011, 10:27am EDT

University of South Florida Financing Corp. is expected to borrow up to $26.5 million for renovations at the Sun Dome.

The Florida Board of Governors approved the debt with several contingencies, including a condition is that the USF Foundation and the USF Board of Trustees approve a set-aside of $20 million to guarantee the interest and principal on the debt.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2011/03/25/florida-board-of-governors-oks-debt.html

That was two months ago.....so, until USF sets aside the $20,000,000 the renovations cannot begin.  

It wasn't the money - USF Foundations had that to set aside...

USF's $35-million renovation of the Sun Dome has likely been pushed back to June due to "procedural" delays...

USF has moved its personnel and ticket offices from the Sun Dome into temporary trailers, but construction itself has not begun. McGillis said the logistical process of "dotting i's and crossing t's" is continuing with meetings with architects and builders, and that the renovation itself is not in jeopardy.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketball/college/article1168636.ece

[/quote

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

If the $20,000,000 was put aside, then why haven't they  "gutted" the building????

You don't gut ANYTHING until you have all the plans finalized.

ESPECIALLY if you're taking about the architects and builders plans

Archived