• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Today's Scrimmage Recap

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Team ran a 170 play scrimmage today and you can get the thoughts from the coach's and a few players here:

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37319&SPID=2981&ATCLID=205123725&DB_OEM_ID=7700

Direct link to the Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BullsVision?SPSID=37319&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700&feature=mhum#p/u/0/Z731cHyk2Vw

Among people Coach Holtz said stood out a little were: Eatmon who was playing RT with the first string guys, Darrell Scott's physical running style, Richard Cliett at LB.

Coach Snyder came out saying we were no where we need to be, seemed a little disappointed in our tackling mostly. Like coach Holtz he said he loved the effort but just the execution was off.

Coach Fitch seemed to be a little bit more pleased than Snyder. Said we are much better than we were compared to this time last year but still not where we need to be.

Can't wait till next Saturday to see where the team is at!

• Content Count:  1,797

My guess for next Saturday....they'll be at Raymond James Stadium.  ;) >:D

Normal

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Scrimmage notebook: ‘Invisible’ Eatmon shines

Posted March 26, 2011 by Adam Adkins

Updated Mar 26, 2011 at 06:38 PM

The effort, attitude and physicality displayed by the University of South Florida football team was up to par, but Skip Holtz admitted the Bulls were a bit rusty Saturday in their first spring scrimmage.

“We can get better on both sides of the ball. A lot of areas for improvement,†USF’s head coach said. “But this wasn’t a scheme scrimmage. This one was about personnel.â€

That’s why Holtz put his squad through a taxing 170-play workout under the afternoon sun, giving roughly 50 plays to the first-team units and 60 each to the second and third teams.

“I just wanted to make sure we’re getting a great evaluation on some of those young guys that were redshirted a year ago and giving them a fair opportunity to turn and show what they can do out on the field,†said Holtz, who plans to release the team’s first depth chart Tuesday or Wednesday after having the chance to pore over the film.

On initial impressions, three players drew praise from Holtz for their efforts: junior RB Darrell Scott, redshirt freshman LB Reshard Cliett and redshirt freshman OT Quinterrius Eatmon.

Eatmon has been working with the first team at right tackle and “he’s shown he deserves to be there,†Holtz said, adding the 6-foot-6, 299-pound lineman was “invisible†Saturday.

“I’m not saying that bad like he didn’t show up, because when you’re young you show up a lot, normally in a bad way,†Holtz said. “You give up a sack, you jump offsides, you go the wrong way, those things. But he was invisible. He did a really nice job.â€

PLAYERS GIVE NOD TO DEFENSE: The consensus among USF players who spoke following Saturday’s scrimmage, which was closed to the media, was the defense had the better day among the two units.

“It pains me to say that,†Bulls QB B.J. Daniels said.

Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder, however, wasn’t ready to throw too much praise.

“This is the first time we’ve really had a chance to tackle live, and I thought our tackling was porous today at times,†he said. “Nowhere near where we need to be.â€

MIXED BAG FROM OFFENSE: USF offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said the unit’s performance Saturday was a mixed bag, but something he said is typical with the first scrimmage.

“I thought the ones did some good things, but were way too inconsistent,†Fitch said. “First scrimmage, getting behind the chains, minus yardage plays at times, missed opportunities, but had two or three real nice drives. It was an eight-play format, we got it down inside the red zone twice on two nice drives.

“The twos, I thought, until the second half were really a disappointment. But the second half they had a nice drive and scored, so that was encouraging.â€

Fitch was pleased with the way the offense rebounded after a sluggish start with its tempo.

BULLS BITS: Sixth-year senior WR A.J. Love sat out Saturday’s scrimmage as he’s still being eased back after missing last season with a torn ACL. … Sophomore RB Marcus Shaw suffered a crack to the bone in his left thumb at Wednesday’s practice, but it’s still unclear how much time he’ll miss. … USF’s annual Spring Game is Saturday at Raymond James Stadium at 2 p.m.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/scrimmage-notebook-invisible-eatmon-shines/

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Scrimmage notebook: ‘Invisible’ Eatmon shines

Posted March 26, 2011 by Adam Adkins

Updated Mar 26, 2011 at 06:38 PM

The effort, attitude and physicality displayed by the University of South Florida football team was up to par, but Skip Holtz admitted the Bulls were a bit rusty Saturday in their first spring scrimmage.

“We can get better on both sides of the ball. A lot of areas for improvement,†USF’s head coach said. “But this wasn’t a scheme scrimmage. This one was about personnel.â€

That’s why Holtz put his squad through a taxing 170-play workout under the afternoon sun, giving roughly 50 plays to the first-team units and 60 each to the second and third teams.

“I just wanted to make sure we’re getting a great evaluation on some of those young guys that were redshirted a year ago and giving them a fair opportunity to turn and show what they can do out on the field,†said Holtz, who plans to release the team’s first depth chart Tuesday or Wednesday after having the chance to pore over the film.

On initial impressions, three players drew praise from Holtz for their efforts: junior RB Darrell Scott, redshirt freshman LB Reshard Cliett and redshirt freshman OT Quinterrius Eatmon.

Eatmon has been working with the first team at right tackle and “he’s shown he deserves to be there,†Holtz said, adding the 6-foot-6, 299-pound lineman was “invisible†Saturday.

“I’m not saying that bad like he didn’t show up, because when you’re young you show up a lot, normally in a bad way,†Holtz said. “You give up a sack, you jump offsides, you go the wrong way, those things. But he was invisible. He did a really nice job.â€

PLAYERS GIVE NOD TO DEFENSE: The consensus among USF players who spoke following Saturday’s scrimmage, which was closed to the media, was the defense had the better day among the two units.

“It pains me to say that,†Bulls QB B.J. Daniels said.

Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder, however, wasn’t ready to throw too much praise.

“This is the first time we’ve really had a chance to tackle live, and I thought our tackling was porous today at times,†he said. “Nowhere near where we need to be.â€

MIXED BAG FROM OFFENSE: USF offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said the unit’s performance Saturday was a mixed bag, but something he said is typical with the first scrimmage.

“I thought the ones did some good things, but were way too inconsistent,†Fitch said. “First scrimmage, getting behind the chains, minus yardage plays at times, missed opportunities, but had two or three real nice drives. It was an eight-play format, we got it down inside the red zone twice on two nice drives.

“The twos, I thought, until the second half were really a disappointment. But the second half they had a nice drive and scored, so that was encouraging.â€

Fitch was pleased with the way the offense rebounded after a sluggish start with its tempo.

BULLS BITS: Sixth-year senior WR A.J. Love sat out Saturday’s scrimmage as he’s still being eased back after missing last season with a torn ACL. … Sophomore RB Marcus Shaw suffered a crack to the bone in his left thumb at Wednesday’s practice, but it’s still unclear how much time he’ll miss. … USF’s annual Spring Game is Saturday at Raymond James Stadium at 2 p.m.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/scrimmage-notebook-invisible-eatmon-shines/

What is the deal with Love sitting out?  This concerns me, since he had a full year to recover....there must be more to this story.

• Content Count:  30

What is the deal with Love sitting out?  This concerns me, since he had a full year to recover....there must be more to this story.

Holtz said before spring ball they weren't going to press Love. Just still taking it easy with him. They need him for fall, not for spring. Not like they don't know what he can do.

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Holtz said before spring ball they weren't going to press Love. Just still taking it easy with him. They need him for fall, not for spring. Not like they don't know what he can do.

He's had two ACL tears in his career. I wouldn't push him when not necessary either

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

finally

why has it been so quiet

• Content Count:  30

finally

why has it been so quiet

We've had reports from every spring practice; still there on our website (TBO.com) in case you want to check them out.

Slight modification: we've had reports from spring practices where players/coaches available to speak with the media.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Talked to him right after the bowl game.  He made it sound like he wouldn't participate much during spring ball.

Archived