• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami scrambling for QB recruits

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Miami scrambling for QB recruits

By Jorge Milian

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

CORAL GABLES  The University of Miami received two more oral commitments during the weekend, but may be running out of time to sign a quarterback.

Of the two quarterbacks scheduled to take official visits to Miami before national signing day, one confirmed his commitment to attend another school while the second has canceled his visit to UM.

Monticello Jefferson County High quarterback Carlton Hill said he will take his visit to UM this weekend but expects to honor his oral commitment to South Florida.

"USF is clearly ahead of Miami," Hill told the Tampa Tribune. "I never did de-commit."

Ryan Perrilloux, ranked as the nation's No. 2 quarterback, has informed UM's coaches that he will not take his planned tripped to South Florida next weekend, according to a source. Perrilloux, from Reserve, La., previously committed to Texas.

The Hurricanes were left scrambling for a quarterback after Derek Shaw of Oceanside, Ca., backed out of the oral commitment he gave UM last year. Citing a desire to stay near the West Coast, Shaw announced he will play at Arizona State.

Miami is now in a bind because nearly all the nation's top quarterback prospects have already made oral commitments.

The only two scholarship quarterbacks on UM's roster are sophomore Kyle Wright and redshirt freshman Kirby Freeman.

UM may not have gotten a quarterback, but did receive oral commitments from two players this weekend.

Matt Pipho, a 6-6, 255-pound offensive linemen from La Porte City (La.) Union High School, said he will play for the Hurricanes. Also announcing his intentions was Luqman Abdallah, a 6-4, 310-pound defensive tackle who played at a New Jersey prep school last year.

Pahokee tailback Antone Smith, one of the nation's most sought-after recruits, took an official visit to UM last weekend. Smith has not indicated where he will attend college.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/01/18/a6c_recruits_0118.html

UM will be making a full court press for Hill this weekend. I hope he is still able to resist all their tactics.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Monticello Jefferson County High quarterback Carlton Hill said he will take his visit to UM this weekend but expects to honor his oral commitment to South Florida.

"USF is clearly ahead of Miami," Hill told the Tampa Tribune. "I never did de-commit."

You gotsta expect him to stay with us with these comments . . .

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

at the end of the day they will have their qbs

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

You gotsta expect him to stay with us with these comments . . .

Go BULLS !!!

I hope you're right E T!!!!

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

without making his visit to Miami he has left himself plenty of room to backout of his committ to us.  I hope he does come to play for us but I can just see him saying how after his visit to Miami he really felt at home and will have the chance to come in and compete for a spot from day 1.  

only time will tell

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I can just see him saying how after his visit to Miami he really felt at home and will have the chance to come in and compete for a spot from day 1.

Like so many QB's USF has recruited in recent years who have ended up riding the pine or playing another position entirely...there are plenty of examples to point to by now.