• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Latest Miami Update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

This is supposed to be inside info and it is from someone that gets that info. 

The talks with Gruden continue but if no deal in sight on tuesday Coach Mullen (Miss. St.) will be interviewed.  I think an interview with him is already set, for Wednesday.  Another deal is Miami's A.D. wants Leavitt as D.C. and will be part of the deal. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

This is supposed to be inside info and it is from someone that gets that info. 

The talks with Gruden continue but if no deal in sight on tuesday Coach Mullen (Miss. St.) will be interviewed.  I think an interview with him is already set, for Wednesday.  Another deal is Miami's A.D. wants Leavitt as D.C. and will be part of the deal. 

Although, I think it'd be great for Leavitt, I really don't think an AD is smart in doing that ... A head coach wants to bring in his own people and can't blame them.

Are there instances out there of deals like this working? Although, if it IS Gruden, it might work because he doesn't give a **** about defense anyway.

Gary Patterson- Did not option to discuss things at this time with miami...UM is now officially moving on from Patterson...Contact will NOT be initiated from UM from this point on

Jon Gruden- Gruden's camp has told UM that they officially want to have the situation wrapped up by tomorrow...source said he isnt hired, "but that he would either be in or out by tomorrow night. Contract discussion's have been smooth, everything is where it needs to be for both parties.. Only hold up is JON..Meanwhile we must continue to look at other candidates because we knew from our initial talks with jon that he wasnt sure about rushing into anything"

Kevin Sumlin- Future Interview in the works now, told him they have other candidates and will be interviewing them as well, he's 4th or 5th down on the list according to the source..He says Sumlin has the approval of a few people involved as (HC material ) but the only issue they worry about is the staff he would assemble overall.. I'm not sure UM will even OFFICIALLY interview him because I'm not sure they have to go to 4th or 5th on the list...One person described Sumlin's offense as "lethal" with our offensive talent..UM is very set on landing a coach who will bring excitement every saturday...Wins ARE what counts though and if they truly believe he can put together the right staff with the money they will pay he could become A SERIOUS contender if we dont get someone soon..They would likely get Sumlin for around 2-2.5 Mill and spend the difference in hiring an ELITE staff to surround him..

Dan Mullen- Spoke with UM AGAIN today...Supposedly he's been bumped into the top 3 right now and would likely save UM a bit of cash if they go this route. Look for UM to offer around 2.5-2.8 for Mullen if they decide he is the one and also look for them to ask that Diaz comes to UM as part of his staff.

• Content Count:  1,757

Wherever you are getting your info from is off. No way gruden steps out of the booth to take on the Miami job, Not going to happen

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Wherever you are getting your info from is off. No way gruden steps out of the booth to take on the Miami job, Not going to happen

Canesport.com is reporting that Gruden is all but done... I'm not saying it's a lock but I doubt they'd put in on their pay site if there wasn't some validity to it.

barring a last minute glitch, Jon Gruden will be the next Miami Hurricanes football coach.

It's expected that his brother Jay will be the team's offensive coordinator.

Details are being finalized tonight and if athletic director Kirby Hocutt and Gruden can work out all details then an announcement could be made as soon as Wednesday.

The hiring of Gruden would energize the fan base - and that was evidenced tonight at the UM-Ole Miss basketball game. With six minutes to go in the first half the student section led a cheer of "We want Gruden!"

Gruden, 47, has a Super Bowl resume - he led the Buccaneers to a title in his first year as that team's coach in 2002.

Gruden's teams run the West Coast offense.

The Ohio native played college ball at Dayton (he was a backup quarterback) and has a 100-85 overall record as an NFL coach.

He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Tennessee in 1986. He then served as quarterbacks coach at Southeast Missouri State for two years before becoming the tight ends coach at the University of Pacific in 1989. He became wide receivers coach at Pittsburgh in 1991 before taking an NFL job as an offensive assistant for the Green Bay Packers in 1992. He was the receivers coach for the Packers for two years, then was offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1995-97.

In 1998 he became head coach of the Oakland Raiders, serving in that capacity for four years before taking the head job with the Buccaneers in 2002. He compiled a 40-28 record with the Raiders.

Gruden coached in Tampa until 2008, when he transitioned to the broadcast booth.

Following his Super Bowl run Gruden's teams had records of 7-9 and 5-11. After an 11-5 season the team had a 4-12 record in 2006, but then the Bucs posted a 9-7 record after Jeff Garcia came on board running the West Coast attack.

In 2008 Gruden's Tampa Bay contract was extended through 2011, but after a winless December Gruden was fired.

He's been working as an NFL announcer, but now it looks like Gruden will move back into the coaching ranks.

Perhaps he'll revive a saying he had in Tampa: "Pound the Rock," which was a reference to never giving up. He even displayed a chunk of granite in the locker room there to hammer that point home.

Could a chunk of granite be coming to the Miami Hurricane locker room?

It's looking good barring final details being worked out.

I would be shocked and it makes no sense. He could easily have better, higher paying NFL jobs after this season.

Not to mention that Gruden has only had success with older mature QB's. He has done nothing in his recent coaching that includes developing a young QB.

Triple post! One more thing, you also have a thread on here announcing Jim Leavitt as the new UM coach as well, from these same sources, so I think if you throw anymore crap on the wall something may stick. Maybe start a thread with every candidate mentioned and you will be right~

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

As a USF fan would you rather UM make a mistake in their HC job or would you want them to make a solid hire?

A bad hire and we could close the Big 3 gap.

A solid hire could draw the dade/broward to stay closer to home.

I personally want them to make a mistake because I hate my UM fan friends and I want to rub USF > UM in their face for years.

Archived