• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Changes

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Sterling Griffin headed to RS... Only way he sees the field is another injury to a wr.

T-Rex getting a look at receiver.

Per Adkins twitter

• Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

Sterling Griffin headed to RS... Only way he sees the field is another injury to a wr.

T-Rex getting a look at receiver.

Per Adkins twitter

This is what I have secretly wanted to see.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I really hope this is because his ankle is that bad, not because Holtz has given up. 

I really hope this is because his ankle is that bad, not because Holtz has given up. 

He dressed the past two games and didn't see the field... I think the ankle is tightening up whenever he stops running around.

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Do you honestly think that a Head Coach would ever give up on a season when there is still a good chance to make some noise? Let's please quit acting like we've never lost 2 conference games in a row people. We have lost 2 games this year that we were supposed to and one that we shouldn't have. 

Do you honestly think that a Head Coach would ever give up on a season when there is still a good chance to make some noise? Let's please quit acting like we've never lost 2 conference games in a row people. We have lost 2 games this year that we were supposed to and one that we shouldn't have. 

No, but do you think a person that hasn't even been on the Injury Report the last two weeks would all the sudden be done for the season?

I'm guessing it was a mutual decision between griffin and holtz. I think it makes sense all the way around.

Here is the article now up on Adkins blog

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/:

Here are Sunday’s practice notes courtesty of correspondent Phil Neary:

After watching the Bulls go two straight games without an offensive touchdown, USF coach Skip Holtz and his offensive staff said they needed to make some changes.

And during Sunday’s practice, some of those changes were in the preliminary stages.

“We practiced a lot of different things (Sunday),†Holtz said.  “I’ve tried to put some people in some different positions.â€

Holtz wouldn’t go into many details regarding the changes, but did reveal freshman Terrence Mitchell, a Hillsborough High graduate, worked with the receivers during Sunday’s practice and could possibly line up there at some point this season.

The move with Mitchell, who was recruited as a cornerback and is currently the Bulls primary punt returner, is only in the experimentation stage, wide receivers coach Phil McGeoghan said.

“(We’re) just taking a look at him out there right now,†McGeoghan said.  “He’s a very, very blessed young man.  Maybe we can get him the ball in space and do some things.  It’s just one of those things you do in practice to see if we can make this offense better.â€

Holtz said Mitchell, who hasn’t seen much time at cornerback this season, first approached him about the idea of playing wide receiver.

“He said, ‘Coach, I want to play’,†Holtz said.  “I’m not going to weaken our defense to strengthen our offense but if you got a guy over there who’s one of your most dynamic players with the ball under his arm as he’s shown on punt returns, and we have a chance to give him the ball in space a little bit, you have to look at that.â€

After the Florida game, Holtz said he discussed the possibility of Mitchell’s move to offense with defensive backs coach Rick Smith. But Holtz said Mitchell, 5-foot-10 and 165 pounds, could still play cornerback this season and in the future.

“It could be a permanent move.  Let’s see how he learns and what he picks up,†Holtz said. “If he can’t learn it, it doesn’t matter.  And it’s going to be a challenge for him.  If he can pick it up, when the season’s over, I’ll let him make that decision (to play offense or defense).  That’ll be a good bridge to cross.â€

GRIFFIN LIKELY TO REDSHIRT: While no definitive decision has been made, it appears sophomore receiver Sterling Griffin is likely going to redshirt this season barring an injury to another Bulls receiver.

Griffin, still recovering from a dislocated ankle suffered in summer workouts, has not played yet this season, though he has dressed for the last few games. Holtz said Griffin, a projected starter before the injury, still is in a “tightness mode†with the ankle.

“My mindset with him right now is if somebody doesn’t get hurt, I’m not going to use his year with six games left to play a backup role,†Holtz said. “If we were to have a couple injuries and he could play a starting role for us the last five or six games of the year, then I would kind of look at the possibility of trying maybe to take his year. Right now, again, we have to see how he progresses. He doesn’t do anybody any good to be able to come out here and run routes for 10 minutes and then sit down for five when the defense is on the field and then need 10 minutes to warm up again, you know what I mean.â€

BULLS BITS: Holtz said the Bulls defense, who hasn’t forced a turnover in two games, needs to improve in that area … Sophomore running back Demetris Murray, held out of Thursday’s game with an ankle injury, practiced Sunday.

Sounds like BJ will remain at the helm, I really hope he can pull out of his slump.

Sounds like BJ will remain at the helm, I really hope he can pull out of his slump.

I expect holtz to ride bjd until the wheels fall off... If they haven't already.

Archived