• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

consider a run/option offense in the interim

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

we certainly won't be GTech, and we certainly shouldn't abandon the ultimate goal of implementing Skip's three-year plan halfway thru his first season, but we can't flush an entire season down the drain waiting for BJ to get his shnitt together.

BJ's only strength, at this point, is his running ability. our gameplan should be to rely on his legs with the option, spread touches on the ground to Mo, Murray, and Battles... throw screens and passes out to Lamar in the flat... and give R.Kelly more touches in power formations (the way WVU used Clarke last night, and Schmitt in the past).

this does not mean we scrap the pass game altogether, but instead use it in limited capacity (maybe two or three passes per drive) to keep the defense honest. it also sets up the possibility for the occasional long play-action bombs, one of the few things (unleashing the deep ball) BJ is semi-capable of doing.

there really isn't much downside here. if we fail to gain enough yardage to sustain drives or BJ ends up getting dinged up, the results won't be much different than what we've experienced the past two weeks. the upside (theoretically) would be a reduction in turnovers (fewer BJ picks) and better field position.

passing simply cannot be a staple of our offense right now with the QB and receivers we have.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The Bucs' defense switched back to their Cover 2 style scheme in the middle of the season, and it worked out well. I know offense is an entirely different animal, but most of these guys are returning starters. I think if we kept the good running game we have, but implemented more of last year's zone read stuff, it might make things a little more bearable. Granted, last night's zone read plays didn't really pan out well, but all it takes is some success in that area to open up some passing routes...routes that even BJ could hit (and did last year). He seems to make decent passes when he's got one or two options, plus a run. Any more than two receivers to look at, and he's not going to make a choice in time, or he'll feel pressure and rush through them - and that leads to bad things.

I think using Eveld in situations may actually help. Having him able to make passes is key, but having the ability to run power I will at least keep the defense from playing the pass when Eveld steps in.

I do think we should run some more options like we were at Florida. Both BJ and Lamar/Plancher/Murray/Shaw can execute that. I'd even like to see one of the RBs line up wildcat and run an option, but alas, I know we're not ready for that type of gimmick.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't recall seeing too many zone read plays. A lot of BJs were just designed runs no option. I thought the plays where he had the option worked pretty well a couple of dent runs resulted. One by Daniels and another big run for Plancher off the zone read.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

There were lots of zone-read plays last night.  The announcers even mentioned it.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The announcers said that of all of BJs runs last night only 4 were off zone reads.

Archived