• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bradenton.com: Gators aren't taking Bulls lightly

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Posted on Thu, Sep. 09, 2010

Gators aren't taking Bulls lightly

Southeast grad Sanders says Gators will be ready

By ALAN DELL

adell@bradenton.com

Terron Sanders guarantees his Gators won’t be overlooking USF this Saturday. And the Florida defensive lineman says it’s as much about the Bulls as it is his team, which has been maligned this week.

Sanders and his teammates are out to prove that what the nation saw in the Gators’ 34-22 victory over Miami of Ohio last week was a mirage.

But the former Southeast High standout says USF presents a whole set of problems that can’t be ignored, including an attitude he and his teammates want to re-arrange.

“We all know USF always has a chip on its shoulder when it plays in state schools,†Sanders says. “They beat FSU last year, and we don’t want to be another statistic. Every time they come out and play against a ranked team they come like they are supposed to win. And if they don’t, it’s always close. They also have a dynamic quarterback, so we are not going to take them lightly.â€

The 6-foot-1, 310-pound tackle says his team hasn’t faced many quarterbacks like the Bulls’ B.J. Daniels, who loves to scramble and tire out those big defensive linemen as the game wears on.

“We really haven’t played against a quarterback who can run like him. He is a whole different type of animal,†Sanders says. “The last time we faced a quarterback like him was Troy Smith in 2006 against Ohio State. He is very good at throwing on the run and stepping up in the pocket to throw. He has the tools to hurt us. We want to make sure we don’t give him any type of comfort and keep him contained.â€

Sanders just hopes he is out the field to give Daniels a run for his money. The redshirt senior is coming off surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right leg last January and did not play last week.

After missing his senior year of high school because of a meniscus tear in his left knee, he saw action in 12 games last season, starting eight and started 12 games as a sophomore.

“There is just a little aggravation in the knee, nothing serious,†Sanders says, “The plan is for me to play Saturday. The doctor just wants to take it day to day and see what happens. I want to play. This is a fun game for me because I am getting to go against some guys I played against in high school and in the youth leagues.â€

Sanders graduated high school with USF receiver Faron Hornes and is good friends with Bulls starting defensive back Mistral Raymond from Palmetto. The Gators also have Jon Dowling (Southeast) and Kedric Johnson (Palmetto) while USF receiver A.J. Love (Southeast) is recovering from knee surgery.

“I’ve known Mistral ever since we were little kids. He lives in the same neighborhood as my aunt,†Sanders says. “I am glad he is doing well and always wish people from Bradenton the best of luck. We like to prove we can play with the best.â€

Sanders and Florida’s other defensive linemen don’t have to prove anything to USF head coach Skip Holtz. He already considers them among the elite.

“Their two tackles are both back, and they are big and strong,†Holtz says. “(Jaye) Howard is a difference maker inside, two of their three linebackers are back, and their defensive backs are so talented. They can be as aggressive as they want to be because of their speed and athleticism. They challenge you on the short route, but don’t give up anything on the deep route.â€

Sanders and his teammates feel they have something to prove after their performance last week, which saw the Gators drop in the polls despite the win. Yet the Florida defense only gave up four yards on 22 carries.

“We played decent defense, but it wasn’t Gator defense,†Sanders says. “We allowed too many points and didn’t show how we can play. We know we have some work to do, and the goal is to get it right. We have a long season ahead of us and can’t dwell on one game.â€

Sanders believes the Gators should be all right if they play to their potential against USF. Anything less and Florida might be one of those early season upset victims.

“If we come out and play like we did last week, they have a chance of beating us so we don’t want to give them any sniff of success. We don’t want to them to think they are in it. We just want to come out and dominate from the first snap of the ball.â€

Listening to Holtz, it seems as if it would take a lot more than a sniff to get his team to pull off what would be the biggest upset in the program’s 14 year history.

“We have a lot of guys who played on our offensive line last year, but we don’t have a guy on our football team that has played Florida,†Holtz says. “We don’t have a guy who has lined up and played against their defensive front. They play very physical and if we want to be competitive in this game we are going to have to play physical.â€

For his part, Sanders just wants to get through the season healthy and give himself a chance for the NFL. He has put together two good seasons, but is looking for a standout year.

“I’ve been watching a lot of film on myself and feel there is a lot I can do to improve,†he says. “I want to go out with a bang, but at the same time be a team player and leader. I want to get a little quicker off the ball. Last year I had some opportunities to make a big play and thought I was a half step behind. It’s those little fundamental, technique type things.â€

Link

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,002
  • Days Won:  12

shiiitttt the close saturday gets the more nervous i get.

on one hand i have high expectations for a win. on the other, i know what the picture is realistically and can swallow the pride and just ask for a good game.

Archived