• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brandon goes to 8-1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I'd rather have a sloppy win than a non sloppy loss, especially if Zaronn can stay healthy!  ;D

Sloppy Brandon wins in tourney at the buzzer

The Eagles lose a 12-point lead, then scramble to defeat Cardinal Gibbons in the Hooters Holiday Shootout.

By JEFF BERLINICKE

Published December 28, 2004

GULFPORT - Brandon couldn't give away its opening round win Monday in the Hooters Holiday Shootout.

The Eagles squandered a 12-point lead entering the fourth quarter and needed a fluke shot at the buzzer to steal a 75-74 win over Fort Lauderdale Cardinal Gibbons at Boca Ciega.

After falling behind - for the first time since the first minute of the game - on a Cardinal Gibbons steal and score with eight seconds left, Brandon set up an isolation play. But after the Eagles brought it over half court, the ball came loose. Korri Ennis picked up the loose ball after a scramble and found Kyle Williams in traffic under the basket. Williams hauled in the pass and laid it in as time expired.

It wasn't pretty, Brandon coach Mark Hermann agreed.

"We just wanted to give it away the entire fourth quarter," Hermann said. "Cardinal Gibbons deserved to win this game. I feel bad for them."

Brandon (8-1) got solid efforts from Aubrey Brown (21 points) and Jamal Thompson (19), but Hermann still wasn't pleased with his team's play down the stretch.

"I told them over and over to be patient," Hermann said. "We didn't slow the ball down and we didn't play smart basketball."

That wasn't the way it looked the first three quarters. After falling behind 8-2 at the start, the Eagles came back strong, taking a 14-12 lead on a 3-pointer from Zaronn Cann. They led 60-46 late in the third quarter.

Cardinal Gibbons (7-2) was led by 18 points each from Hyman Taylor and David Blackwell.

Earlier, Gibbs (5-2) fell 51-45 to Miami Northwest Christian (8-1). Darian Simmons hit four 3-pointers for the Gladiators and Naason Borden added 14 points, but it wasn't enough. Northwest Christian is the top-ranked team in Class A. Deluis Ramirez led Northwest Christian with 20 points.

Also, Lauderdale Lakes Boyd Anderson downed Birmingham (Ala.) Huffman 51-49.

[Last modified December 28, 2004, 00:24:09]

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/28/Sports/Sloppy_Brandon_wins_i.shtml

PS - Moderator might want to copy this to the Brandon game thread on the recruiting board.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Cardinal Gibbons didn't want to win it either, taking perhaps the dumbest timeout in the history of basketball after taking a one point lead with 6 seconds left.  The clock doesn't stop on a make in the last minute in high school, so Gibbons calls a TO to let Brandon take their time and draw up where they want the ball to go on the final play.  Neither team should have won, this should have been a double forefit and the team from Alabama should be given the spot in the winners bracket:).

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

After falling behind 8-2 at the start, the Eagles came back strong, taking a 14-12 lead on a 3-pointer from Zaronn Cann.

That behemoth can shoot 3-pointers?? Lord, please keep him healthy ...

Guest S.  Bien

That behemoth can shoot 3-pointers?? Lord, please keep him healthy ...

Are you kidding me, Zaronn has a sweet outside shot, and before the major knee injuries he was excellent at beating opponents off the dribble- with either hand.  Zaronn Cann was a top 25 player in the ENTIRE COUNTRY before the knee injury.  At that time he was a 6-5 220lbs wing.   The knee injury slowed mobility, he grew during that time, and is at 6-6 and well still above the 240lbs he's listed at.  When he enrolls at USF I expect him to be down to 240lbs.  This kid has all the tools if that knee can get back to 100%.  Dribbling, shooting, physical inside...there wasn't anything Zaronn couldn't do.

So, if Zaronn returns to old form when he gets to USF then coupled with Buckley there is a reason for Bull's fans to be mildly enthusiastic.  IF Zaronn gets back to 100% he's got the talent to be one of the best to wear a Bulls Uniform.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

IF Zaronn gets back to 100% he's got the talent to be one of the best to wear a Bulls Uniform.

That's a pretty big hunk of expectation for a youngster to haul around on his freshman shoulders/back.  I don't follow recruiting so I hope your statement holds a few fluid onces of water Sbien.

Guest S.  Bien

That's a pretty big hunk of expectation for a youngster to haul around on his freshman shoulders/back.  I don't follow recruiting so I hope your statement holds a few fluid onces of water Sbien.

Consider the fact that just 14 short months ago Zaronn Cann was considered the #22 prospect regardless of position going into 2005.  That was after a stellar summer camp, and summer AAU circuit.   His knee injury was a major, major type.  He tore all three ligaments in his knee, not just an ACL.  Before his knee tear his offers read like a "Who's Who" book of college football programs- Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, UF, Wisconsin, Michigan, and FSU.  Not to mention WVU, Vtech, Pitt, Miami, and USF who all stuck by him through the knee rehab.

No USF recruit was ever rated that high, or ever had the type of attention or offers- pre-knee injury of course.   This is predicated on a 100% return to health, but before that knee the chances of USF signing this kid seemed grim.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Brandon dropped to 8-2 tonight.  Cann looked very sore to say the least.

Here is that game report from SPT

Hooters Holiday Shootout

ST. PETERSBURG - Brandon was the final bay area team eliminated from the winners bracket of the Hooters Holiday Shootout with an 86-65 loss to Wheeler (Ga.) on Tuesday.

Brandon began the game, played at Eckerd College, on a 6-0 run and forced Wheeler to take an early timeout. The Wildcats responded with a 6-2 run and took a brief 13-12 lead.

Wheeler continued to build momentum in the second quarter when Sharaud Curry scored seven consecutive points as part of a 20-2 run. Curry scored 32 and James Florence added 25 for Wheeler.

Brandon was led by Mario Walker with 13 points and Zaronn Cann with 11, but poor transition hurt the Eagles.

"Our guys didn't handle the ball very well," Brandon coach Mark Hermann said. "I think that was the key, too many turnovers."

Wheeler scored 31 in the third quarter, and led by 35 at times in the second half. The Wildcats (10-0) face Lake Howell in the semifinals tonight at 7.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/29/Sports/Armwood_reaches_its_f.shtml

Guest BasketBull.

I woudn't worry too much about his performance in these last 2 games. The kid just came off a tournament in Kissimmee last week where he had 30 in the final but lost the championship game (see recruiting board).

Here's what to worry about:

Does Brandon have a team doctor? And if so, is he playing under the doctor's OK?

...we don't want him to be a "walk-on" when he gets to USF.