• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2011 Commits

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

***** UPDATE 8-30-2010 - Organized by stars  That is 12 commits, and tells us these guys can recruit.

Edsel Caprise OLB            3-star    6-2/200/4.45

Boo Simon  OT              3-star    6-5/284/5.0

Max Lang  OT                3-star  6-5/280/ 5.4    *** NEW Commit 8-24-2010 ***

Willie Davis RB                3-star    5-10/195

Alex Mutt    WR              3-Star  6-2/195 

Chris Garye  S                3-star  6-0/185 

Matt Floyd  QB              2-star  6-2/190

Stevie Weatherford QB    2-star  6-2/190

Zack Bullock  OLB          2-star  6-3.5/200

Rontavious Atkins  S        2-star  6-0/185

Thor Jozwiak  OL          2-star    6-4/270  ** Father played for WVU was All American** 

Antoine Pozniak  OLB        2-star  6-3/220/4.5    ** New commit 8-28-10 **

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

***** UPDATE 8-30-2010 - Organized by stars  That is 12 commits, and tells us these guys can recruit.

Not necessarily.  The number of commits alone does not tell us that they can recruit.  Could also be that we have accepted too many early commits from lower level guys. Hell we could have 25 commits now if we shot low.  We're not Texas that throws out 25 scholarship offers to the best 25 in Texas and waits.  I think the staff has a few reaches so far this year already, kids that make sense to accept in December/January but less sense to do so now. 

Having said that, if the coaches are taking these commits then I have to assume they are the staff's top choices.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Not necessarily.  The number of commits alone does not tell us that they can recruit.  Could also be that we have accepted too many early commits from lower level guys. Hell we could have 25 commits now if we shot low.  We're not Texas that throws out 25 scholarship offers to the best 25 in Texas and waits.  I think the staff has a few reaches so far this year already, kids that make sense to accept in December/January but less sense to do so now. 

Having said that, if the coaches are taking these commits then I have to assume they are the staff's top choices.

I agree. Its really hard to gauge because I cannot remember having this many commitments so early. But a lot of these guys just dont seem like an improvement at all. There are a couple to be excited about, but seems like we arent making any strides. Holtz is not known so far in his college coaching career as a great recruiter. Maybe that is because of the teams he has coached no being BCS. We will see.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Sanjay, maybe I am little novice with USF recruiting in the past.  But, tell me if I am wrong, it seems to me that USF this early has never had that many who have given us verbal commits ( I understand they can change if they improve their stock during the fall high school season)? 

On the issue with Holtz as a recruiter, it most likely was the school.  However, he had success at UConn and ECU with who he did get that has to say something.

Sanjay, maybe I am little novice with USF recruiting in the past.  But, tell me if I am wrong, it seems to me that USF this early has never had that many who have given us verbal commits ( I understand they can change if they improve their stock during the fall high school season)?   

On the issue with Holtz as a recruiter, it most likely was the school.   However, he had success at UConn and ECU with who he did get that has to say something.

Riz, you are right we have never had 12 commitments this early in the season.  But at a school like USF that is a double-edged sword.  Are the staff's standards too low?  Are they missing out on better recruits and taking the next option?  I think the 3 OL are good gets (although we will have to fight to keep Boo, and Thor will need to keep growing) and am happy with the QBs (for depth purposes if nothing else, and it is pretty clear we were going to whiff on the bigger names) and even Mut (provided we are bringing in 4-5 WRs). 

SANJAY, is it your understanding that a lot of these two star guys are just not evaluated yet?

SANJAY, is it your understanding that a lot of these two star guys are just not evaluated yet?

If they have 2 stars they have been evaluated.  No stars means not evaluated as would a single star (but have not seen those in a while).

Wow, thats worse than I thought. Hopefully this coaching staff can set their sites higher than Conf USA level recruits.

Red,

Don't get too worked up about the number of stars of any particular player.  Just not physically possible to accurately evaluate all the players in Florida and then rank them even if you're getting paid for it. 

The concern I have is that we are seeing kids that are 1- Out of State; 2- Not on any Florida top 100 list (doesn't matter the list, Rivals, Scout or Bill Buchalter); 3- Not being recruited by anyone of significance.

Before anyone tells me about Selvie, I agree that he was not recruited by anyone and not Florida top 100.  However, if you take those types of kids in December (and you only have one or two) that is one thing, but to take those kids in August, well I don't know what to say about that.

Especially in a year when Tampa Bay area has more elite talent than it has had in a long time.  Things could change, heck if we got a Josh Grady or Andre Davis things could pick up.

I have been following recruiting for a few years now ,especially on this site. I am with ya, stars arent the end all and be all. But like you said, the lack of interest by other programs etc... Keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived