• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miller’s return to field has been uneventful for Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Joel Miller is finally back where he is most comfortable.

“I’m out here playing football,’’ Miller said Friday evening. “This is what I want to do. Everyone has a fresh slate, a fresh start. Everyone gets to show what they can do.’’

The University of South Florida football team donned pads Friday for the first time since former coach Jim Leavitt was fired and replaced by Skip Holtz.

Miller, a walk-on running back from Wharton High, was as the center of Leavitt’s ouster. A four-week investigation concluded Leavitt grabbed Miller by the throat during halftime of a Nov. 21 game against Louisville and struck him twice in the face.

After initially denying the incident as reported by FanHouse.com, Miller later acknowledged the confrontation happened as originally reported and said he was only trying to protect Leavitt by telling investigators and school officials a different story.

More than two months later, the Bulls are back on the field for their first spring practice under Holtz. There was speculation that some of his teammates may not want Miller back on the team following the messy end to Leavitt’s tenure.

When Holtz took over in January and began meeting individually with players, he gauged the mood surrounding Miller’s return to the team. He decided to move forward with Miller remaining on the roster.

“I addressed it with everybody individually to find out if it was a problem,’’ Holtz said Friday. “And I don’t think it is on this team. I think time heals a lot of things and these players right now are interested in moving forward.’’

Senior receiver Dontavia Bogan, who voiced disappointment the day Leavitt was fired in January, has accepted Holtz and said Friday that there has been a sense of team unity during the first three days of spring practice.

Miller’s role in Leavitt’s firing and his presence back on the field has not been a distraction, according to Bogan.

“No one hates him,’’ Bogan said. “He’s family. We are all one. We treat him the same as we treat anybody else. We’re past all that.’’

Since the story broke and Leavitt was fired, Miller has often been a target of fans on message boards and sports-talk radio. Some blame him for Leavitt’s firing. Others say he should have never spoken up. Miller said once he steps inside the fence surrounding USF’s practice fields, none of that matters.

“When you come in here, it’s to play football,’’ he said. “That’s it. Coach Holtz has been great. Everyone has been great around here.’’

Miller remains a walk-on but is striving to make more of an impact on the field and perhaps gain a scholarship. As a running back at Wharton, Miller rushed over 1,000 yards as a senior.

“That’s always a hope,’’ he said of earning a scholarship. “That’s what I’ve always wanted ever since I walked on at USF. If the opportunity comes, that would be a great opportunity for me. I just want to show them what I can do. I’d love to get some reps at running back.’’

The day after Holtz was introduced as USF’s coach on Jan. 15, he said he would evaluate Miller the same way he would every other player. So far, Holtz is confident that Miller remaining part of the team won’t disrupt team chemistry.

“I haven’t seen it,’’ Holtz said. “I haven’t heard of anything nor seen anything that would make me say that there is any kind of animosity toward him right now with what’s gone on.’’

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/millers-return-to-field-has-been-uneventful-for-bulls/

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

glad to hear victimdidnt get punished

• Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like he might be headed for a scholarship based on how he played in the scrimmage this past week.

I was really impressed with Miller on Saturday. I hadn't heard of him before the whole Leavitt saga, but he looked good running the ball in the scrimmage.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Sounds like he might be headed for a scholarship based on how he played in the scrimmage this past week.

I was really impressed with Miller on Saturday. I hadn't heard of him before the whole Leavitt saga, but he looked good running the ball in the scrimmage.

last spring game he was the leading rusher on like 8 carries...

• Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

last spring game he was the leading rusher on like 8 carries...

I never said the reason I hadn't heard of him was because he wasn't good - it could be that I have a bad memory. :)

Regardless, if Samuels is as hurt as he looked Saturday and Taylor is in fact gone, we'll probably be glad to see Miller around this coming season. It seems to me like a scholarship is very possible for him at this point, maybe even likely.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

lets see how he totes in the spring game

Archived