• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Holtz gets up close and personal with USF fans

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Holtz gets up close and personal with USF fans

By SCOTT CARTER | The Tampa Tribune

35896_0303bulls.jpg

New USF coach Skip Holtz took time Wednesday night to answer questions from Bulls fans.

Nothing upset University of South Florida fans in the final three seasons of the Jim Leavitt era as much as the Bulls' knack for dropping off the map in the second half of the season.

The trend started in 2007, when the Bulls climbed to No. 2 in the nation after a 5-0 start. USF went 4-4 in its final eight games. In 2008 and 2009, 5-0 starts were followed by 3-5 finishes.

If you're keeping score at home, USF is the only Division I-A school in the country to start 5-0 in each of the past three seasons. However, the Bulls are 10-14 during the past three seasons after those 5-0 starts.

At his first town hall meeting on the USF campus Wednesday night, new Bulls coach Skip Holtz addressed the issue when a fan asked what Holtz's plan is to reverse the disturbing trend.

"That's something we have to look at," Holtz said. "Why does that happen? Is that because we overtrain? Is that because we're not prepared? Is that because of the level of competition? Is that when we get into the meat of the Big East schedule?

"There are a lot of variables that we have to work out. Are we overworking them on the field? Are we overworking them in the weight room?"

Holtz is holding another town hall tonight in Pinellas County. Soon, he turns from football program ambassador to head coach. Spring practice opens March 16.

"I haven't seen B.J. Daniels throw a live football," Holtz reminded the crowd of around 100. "So it's really hard for me to assess where we are as a football team. I'm ready to start that process."

Here are a few more notes from Holtz's town hall meeting:

•With senior running back Mike Ford dismissed from the team recently, Holtz said news Wednesday that the NCAA has granted RB Mo Plancher a sixth year of eligibility is a plus. Plancher is by far the most experienced running back on the roster.

"When I announced that to the team, they all stood up and started cheering for him," Holtz said.

•Holtz plans to invite his father, former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz, to at least one practice during spring camp and one during fall camp. He gives his dad a pen, pad and an elevated viewing spot so he can take notes. The two then talk about the team as they have in the past.

"He's been a great sounding board for me over the years," Holtz said Wednesday.

• Holtz says he will give defensive coordinator Mark Snyder a lot more freedom on game days than offensive coordinator Todd Fitch. Holtz and Fitch have worked together for 13 seasons and Holtz says since he is more of an offensive coach, he stays involved more and that all play calls go through him.

• The on-campus stadium question came up. Holtz said he would prefer to play games in an on-campus stadium because of the student environment, but added that having Raymond James Stadium as your home stadium is not a bad alternative for recruiting.

• Holtz said he isn't afraid to recruit the better student over the better player if it is better for the long-term success of the program.

"I think there is far too much emphasis put on winning in February," he said. "People try to win by making a splash on signing day. They sign a lot of guys who are not going to qualify; they're not going to be there. I think you evaluate recruiting after they have been there three years."

Holtz pointed out that his first recruiting class at East Carolina did not have one player ranked above two stars by the national recruiting services, but the group went on to win consecutive Conference USA titles.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

what a great coach,speaker and motivator

Archived