• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2010 lineman likely signing with USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

My brother sent me an article about a 2010 OL prospect (Derrick Campbell) who was going to go to Miami as a greyshirt but USF just offered so he is likely going there.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

All that profile means is scout never evaluated him.

Rivals has him as a 3 star.  http://rivals.yahoo.com/usf/football/recruiting/player-Derrick-Campbell-103312

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I presume he would take the scholarship we had set aside for Jose Jose. Apparently Miami sent him to prep school with the hope of signing him when he became eligible. If they now want to grey shirt him, it makes sense for him to come here.

This was on a UM message board. I don't have a link:

New Berlin (NY) Milford Academy has already sent offensive lineman Malcolm Bunche to Miami.

And now another Milford offensive lineman could be headed to Miami.

Assuming he gets his test score.

6-foot-4, 310-pound Derrick Campbell says he was placed at Milford by UM coaches last year coming out of York (AL) Sumter County High School. And he expects to get a Hurricane offer if he can get a qualifying SAT score.

"Coach (Jeff) Stoutland is recruiting me," Campbell said. "I'm going back up to Milford the 23rd, and he said he's going to come sit down and talk to me and (Milford coach Bill) Chaplick. I hope to visit Miami in the next couple of weeks.

"I think I'm going to end up getting an offer. Coach Stoutland, one night he wanted to talk to me and my parents, and he said they really need me down there on the offensive line."

Campbell is also being recruited by Auburn, Syracuse, Temple and Western Kentucky.

He says if UM does offer him "I would commit on the spot."

He adds that "Miami started recruiting me when I was in high school. They're the one that sent me to the prep school here - they told me go there and then I can come to Miami (if he is academically qualified)." 

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

New Berlin (NY) Milford Academy OL Derrick Campbell had planned on being a late Hurricane signee for much of the recruiting process.

But now he says that has changed.

Campbell, who says he expects to be fully qualified but is still putting the finishes touches on his academics, says the Hurricanes have now told him that they would like him to grayshirt and come to UM next January as an early enrollee.

If that was his only option he would have done it.

But another school contacted him for the first time this past Saturday, and now unless the Canes decide to bring Campbell in this fall he is likely headed there.

That team?

The University of South Florida.

"I'm going on a visit there this weekend or next weekend," Campbell said. "I'll probably end up committing to USF because Miami wants me to stay here another semester, come in January.

"I don't know what's going to happen with Miami."

He says if Miami coaches change their mind and allow him to come in the fall "That would change things and I would definitely consider that."

Campbell's coach, Bill Chaplick, says of the 6-foot-4, 310-pounder that "He's a stud who can play anywhere on the line. He's a great football player."

Thanks for sharing.

I thought this was telling: "But another school contacted him for the first time this past Saturday."

That most probably is related to Jose Jose pulling a last second switch. BTW, like Jose, Campbell also played both OL and DL in HS, so we could use him either way. We were after his more heralded teammate, OL Malcom Bunche, who signed with Miami, but according to some UM fans Campbell had the better season.

Apparently, Miami is over the scholarship limit. This guy is probably an upgrade over Jose-Jose.

http://canestalk.com/index.php?s=00f7e419bb1818f003dd6b28a2ee1bf2&showtopic=5744&st=0&#entry53764

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I was more disappointed in losing Jose then any of the recruits we had a shot at. The o-line was the most pressing need for this team. I hope we get this guy Campbell.

Archived