• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bellamy won't get a Scollie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

January 29, 2010

No more scholarships, USF tells RB Bellamy

Adaris Bellamy was the first player to commit to USF's Class of 2009 and accept a scholarship offer to play for the Bulls. Now the former Dunedin running back, placed at a prep school in Virginia by USF last fall after he did not qualify academically, has been cleared by the NCAA but was told Friday that USF no longer had a scholarship available to him this year.

Dunedin coach Mark Everett said he was disappointed by USF's news, given that the Bulls had signed Bellamy last year and placed him at Fork Union Military Academy with the hopes of having him join the team this summer. Bellamy was able to raise his grade-point average and entrance exam scores such that he has now been cleared through the NCAA Clearinghouse according to Everett, but doesn't have a place at USF.

USF still has scholarships in play, with several recruits making official campus visits this weekend, but it's likely the Bulls mean they do not have scholarships available for any running backs -- the Bulls have three in this year's class, and potentially return all eight from this past season.

Bellamy has planned on attending USF since he first committed in March 2008, Everett said. USF could potentially have scholarships open up if current players left the program or other signees failed to qualify academically, but Bellamy would likely have to wait until summer to find out.

Instead, Everett said Bellamy will try to find another program interested in signing the former four-star recruit -- he chose USF in 2008 over schools like Florida, Mississippi, Clemson and Iowa State.

Posted by Greg Auman at 06:15:14 PM on January 29, 2010 in Football , Recruiting | Permalink | Comments (53)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sorry, but thats pretty f'd up.

Should have gotten better grades from the get-go.

Still has to be demoralizing for him nonetheless.

Leavitt should never have offered him a spot. They had 6 RB's with 2 more recruited. What do you want, a whole team of RB's, this is clearly Leavitt's bonehead move.

• Content Count:  578

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/no-more-scholarships-usf-tells-rb-bellamy.html#comments

Here's the link so Greg's blog can get some hits.

--------

This is just too bad that the schools aren't allowed to come out and say exactly why. Instead we get to hear internet rumors and speculation from message board posters going off the deep end. I know Greg hinted that it may be because we have too many RB's (I agree). Could it also be he cleared the NCAA minimums but not the "academic committee?" Could it be that the coaches are upset he couldn't get in by the spring like they wanted? Doubt we'll ever know the full story.

Guest Scherdin

Why??

We have too many small RB's, Holtz is looking for something different.  These kids need to realize that this is not the same system that the old staff was running and that change is a coming...

Some need to realize that college sports is a business

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

+1

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/no-more-scholarships-usf-tells-rb-bellamy.html#comments

Here's the link so Greg's blog can get some hits.

--------

This is just too bad that the schools aren't allowed to come out and say exactly why. Instead we get to hear internet rumors and speculation from message board posters going off the deep end. I know Greg hinted that it may be because we have too many RB's (I agree). Could it also be he cleared the NCAA minimums but not the "academic committee?" Could it be that the coaches are upset he couldn't get in by the spring like they wanted? Doubt we'll ever know the full story.

I just read a quote where he hasn't even got all his test scores back and that he finished way before anyone thought he would. No one even expected for him to be avaiable.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Leavitt should never have offered him a spot. They had 6 RB's with 2 more recruited. What do you want, a whole team of RB's, this is clearly Leavitt's bonehead move.

Maybe it was Frank's bonehead move. Afterall, he's both the recruiting coordinator and RB coach. 

• Content Count:  509

We managed to lose two Bellamy's in the same week. One was our best wide receiver to Louisville, and now a RB who until recently was rated as a four star recruit by Rivals!

Archived