• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCain Threatens to Play Hardball.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  537
  • Content Count:  2,718
  • Days Won:  0

McCain Threatens MLB Over Steroids

Saturday, December 04, 2004

WASHINGTON  Sen. John McCain (search) on Saturday demanded immediate action by representatives of major league baseball's players and owners to tighten the sport's drug-testing policy "to restore the integrity of baseball" or face possible congressional action.

"I warned them a long time ago that we needed to fix this problem," McCain told reporters after attending the Army-Navy football game with President Bush. "It's time for them to sit down together and act. And that's what they should do. If not, clearly, we have to act legislatively, which we don't want to do."

Expressing dismay over recurring reports of steroid abuse by some of the game's top stars, the Arizona senator threatened to legislate stricter rules if the sport fails to police itself.

"I'll introduce legislation in January, but I hope I don't have to do that," he said, speaking to reporters at Andrews Air Force Base.

The long-simmering steroid allegations hit the headlines this week with reports of grand jury testimony in San Francisco that linked to steroid abuse such stars as the game's all-time single-season home run champion, Barry Bonds (search), and New York Yankees slugger Jason Giambi (search).

The San Francisco Chronicle was able to review sealed transcripts containing the testimony of Bonds, Giambi and Gary Sheffield.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

feds sticking their noses where it doesn't belong

the republicans   scream there is too much government !!!!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

well some one has to make things right... the players union sure isn't fixing the problem.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

so if the feds shouldnt have any involvement in MLB, they should amend the MLB's antitrust status?  They are the only sport that is not subject to such rules.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

feds have no place in baseball

i am fine with taking away antitrust exemption(based on case law not statutory authority) for other reasons

players get high all the time on illegal drugs,drink and drive etc and feds don't get involved

mccain is pandering to the kooky right wing

he should spend every second getting text books into schools and getting our boys home from iraq and afganistan

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Feds should get involved.  They do all the time in situations like this.  You have a business where illegal (steroids are illegal) activity happens on a cosistant basis and that business fails to do anything about it.  The feds should have probably stayed out of Arther Anderson too.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Drugs are bad, mmmkay!

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

Govt should stay out of the stock market too. Why protect investors who put money in the market. They take the risk by putting their cash in so why so many rules and regulations. Why do I have to be bonded. Why cant I have drug arrests and stay in the biz?  I know one thing the cream wont make me trade any better but I bet I could get the ink on the ticket a little deeper.