• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

D looked great today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

NNNNOOOOOOTTTTTT.   As I have said many times before our D sucked this year.  No QB pressure and a horrible pass defense.  I know  some of our secondary players were considered "great recruits" but they have looked like crap to me. They play like they are afraid to screw up, and give every WR 5-10 yds every time. I hate to single a player out, but Camon should have never started at Safety.  He is a special teams player at most.  Never have I seen a player who is that little yet tackles so high. Maybe at the high school level he could just hit those guys and get away with it.  At D1 you need to perform a technique called wrapping up when you tackle.  

The team as a whole needs to beef up.  We flat out are smaller than almost every team, sans tenn tech, that we played this year.  Hopefully since most of the guys are young we will improve in size by next year.  

Well enough with this rant, I'm ready for the future and look forward to the days when our D returns to a dominating form and we actually win a home game.  GO BULLS.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

I look forward to seeing who our QB will be next season and if we can correct the penaltie and turnover problems

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Mike Jenkins has shown promise at times, but he is also getting put on the other teams best WR most of the time so its hard to look too good being that young...   give him time and I think he will be a great shut down corner for us.

What happened to D'juan Brown?  He used to be our best corner, but I dont remember seeing him for a while now

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797

He sustained a broken arm against Cincinnati two weeks ago 83.  Which means we have played three frosh (Jenkins, T. Williams and Brant) and a WR (Gipson).  Not a good plan if you have minimal pass rush against a competent QB.  John McKay used to say, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores."  Hopefully that will be true for us.

Normal

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

the d coordinator at so piss looks good against cal holding them to 17pts game in the 4th

i am not trying to start anything with our defensive coaches.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Gipson isn't a wide receiver... he just played it some this season... he is normally a defensive back, so he isn't playing out of position... i believe.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Gipson is a better wide receiver than a DB... but we were thin at DB this year and he did an admirable job filling in. Next year, things will get better!

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Velcro, he is a WR first... that's what he was recruited to play when he got here.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

smazza,

We have talent, we just have young talent that are not ready. Jenkins was a HIGH SCHOOL stud that chose USF over Nebraska. Danny Verpaele is supposed to be better than his older brother, Kevin.  I dont recall how highly touted Trae Williams was, but he really needs to improve if he wants to play DB. USF also has alot of talent redshirting by Coach Leavitt's design. If you listened to Coach Leavitt's post game interview, you would have heard him promise us that our defense will get better when we have our redshirts play including Tim Smith. Leavitt promised that our defense will have to get back to where it was dominating. Leavitt's goal is to make sure that we dont have a defense as bad as this season. He sounded so eager to get on with next season which makes me believe that there is help on the way. I never really heard Leavitt sound so open about the talent he has redshirted like that before.