• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2001 better football team

Guest babybull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

SCBullsfan Posted on:

babybull,

I think you're confusing Alabama with Oklahoma.  We never really had a chance at Oklahoma.

SCBullsfan,

What team got in the Endzone first in that game?  So if you are going to be sarcastic know what your talking about.  Matter a fact why don't you go get lessons from JL on Sarcasim.  They might not of won but they were in more than you wrote in the above passage.

Aren't you being a little touchy?  I do know what I'm talking about.  We may have scored first, but after that it was never close.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Don't mean to touchy just not happy with this team.

I don't think any of us are "happy" with this team right now.  But I, for one, sees the future as bright.   ;D

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

2001 a better football team?  Well its hard to argue with results.

However we grew the 2001 program through transfers during the 1-AA ranks, and some academically borderline players.  That's no longer a luxury of ours so we are going to have to recruit another Kawika Mitchell, Glen Davis, or Tucker the old fashion way- out of HS.

Also, in certain spots we have athletes that are equal or more gifted than players on the 2001 squad however those 2001 players were all upperclassmen- particularly on defense.  

Look at 2001-02 then lets compare to today.

The 2001-02 DL: Jurineak (senior in 02'), Wall (02'), Daley (02'), Emerson Morris (02'), Tchecoy Blount (01') and Pierson (02').  All of them were juniors and seniors during that time, with Pierson as the exception but he was with the program for three years.

Today: Tavarious Robinson (06'), Searcy (05'), Royal (05'), Eric Thomas (07'), Cray (07'), Chance (07') and then we had Battle, and LRS Jr. (who both played in 01 and 02).  

Look at the LBing crew in 01-02:  Anthony Williams (01'), Kawika Mitchell (02'), Allen (03' until injuries entended his career), Mojo (03'), and Davenport (03").

Today: St. Louis (06'), Nicholas (06'), Moffitt (07'), McCollough (07'), Balloon (07') and Davis (06').  

Look at the DB's:

2001 and 02- Glen Davis (01'), Reed (03'), Morgan (01'), Verpaele (03'), Tucker (02'), Bernard Brown (02'), Robinson, Hemingway, John Miller.

Look at DBs this year:

Camon, Verpaele, Trae Williams, Mike Jenkins, AJ Brant, Drametrice Smith, and Bruce Gipson.  

The talent is there, the experience is not.  The 2001 crews were not extremely deep but very long on talent and experience.   I believe more players on the current roster have greater upside potential.  If the current team had the luxury of getting groomed like the 01-02 crew did through the 1-AA ranks, and building as the first major senior class then I think this team could compare favorably.   The 01 team had some special players on that roster, but at the time the special players were primarily upperclassmen.  Give Peyton, Chambers, Nicholas, Davis, Jenkins, and a few others two more years in this program and then come back and compare.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

Also look at the caliber of teams we played in 2001.  Teams are much better now, which would also skew the results of your comparison.

Guest babybull

S. bien your right there is more up side on this team than the 2001 team.  My point is that we just don't have as many as the good athletes playing right now for what ever reson.  

Guest wildrover
Also look at the caliber of teams we played in 2001.  Teams are much better now, which would also skew the results of your comparison.

You mean teams like S Miss, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, and my favorite Army all teams we've beat in the past that competition, is that who got better?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

S. bien your right there is more up side on this team than the 2001 team.  My point is that we just don't have as many as the good athletes playing right now for what ever reson.  

True.  I think some of the current good athletes are so young they're still learning the ropes, and haven't played significantly yet.  Guys like Eric Thomas, Chance, Carlton Williams, and McCollough.  The ones that are playing shouldn't be by conventional standards, and probably wouldn't have been playing in their present status if they were on the team in 01.

A good comparison is to think back in 01'.  That year Kevin Verpaele was a RS-Soph, and yet he wasn't starting sitting behind Joe Morgan, and splitting some back-up minutes with Miller, and Jones.   We know Danny Verpaele is every bit the athlete and heady player Kevin was, in fact Kevin admits Danny's taller and faster.  Then why was Danny playing- first Johnny Jone's freakish injury, and we lost our top notch starting SS for the year.  Kenny Robinson's abrupt departure after spring practice just further opened the flood gates at safety.  Then we come to find out that Drametrice Smith, and Jeremy Burnett might be career special teamers.  In thrusts Danny, and he's forced to give minutes.

What a difference a year will make:

2005:  Johnny Jones returns healthy and strong, and yet again another Verpaele platoons with JJ, and Drametrice Smith and Burnett maintaining back-up, back-up status.  

Gone is Camon, in slides Mike Jenkins, Carlton Williams, and hopefully Ricky Ponton.

All the difference a year can make.  

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

2001 had Blackwell, 2004 has no QB.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it may be true with is scary

would should have been progressing for last 3 years