• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I congratulate RMC, then this. RMC: Player Slayer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Sherriff... certain people came in here bashing Mac this year because the FT% didn't improve very much over the seth era during Mac's first campaign, saying they knew this would happen and that mac obviously isn't coaching these kids any better than seth if he can't even get the ft% up.  Now the results are starting to show...  that is a positive yet somehow now that positive doesn't count.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Free throws -- 80% of NBA players can't hit at an 80% clip... does that mean they're less disciplined?

Considering the street ball crap most of the NBA has turned into, I think that's EXACTLY what it means ........

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Time to stop giving this guy a free pass for not only losing games,.

Psst, beastie, shouldn't you wait until he actually begins losing a bunch of games before you start that?

OK we'll kieep giving this guy a free pass.  He's gonna be like the 5 year old who's parents never set him straight when he did the wrong things as an adolescent and then goes on to become an axe murderer.

This sounds like the voice of experience. It's good to see that Georgia's progressive prison system allows internet access ...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Sherrif

Discipline and shooting have everything in common. Not only do you need the discilpline to work hard on your areas of weakness but you need the discipline to work to get an open look at the basket. NBA players don't shoot free throws well because they don't have the discipline to work on them. They are to concerned with how their next dunk is going to look. Why do you think scoring is down from 20 years ago? I never suggested that Greenberg didn't work on these things only that Our Coach seems to be doing a good job with them this year. You are the one who implied that I was bashing Greenberg.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Not much fun leading the conference in FT percentage either. Better get on Coach about 3 ball percentage too. 2nd in the conference and #12 in the country is not going to cut it for this crowd!!

Shows what a little discipline can do for a team.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/stats/teamsort/USA/SCORING/regularseason?&_1:col_1=10

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/stats/teamsort/USA/SCORING/regularseason?&_1:col_1=13&_1:col_2=10

on 9/11/04 football had the # 1 defense in the country

where are we now?

that said nice stats!

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

One more thing to add about stats, look at the top 10 at the end of the year and you will see very few great teams on that list. It's usually filled with mid-majors and most of them do not make the post season.

Winning at the high-major level like the UConn's or Marylands does not always mean you have to shoot the lights out, but you do have to make plays and play defense.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Agreed, be good in all aspects is better than great in one or two, unless the two are Points for and Points against ;)

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

You gotta shoot the Rock Baby.  Top teams all have very good shooters on their team.  Some run a slower paced game and don't have the stats but they can light it up.  Man I watched Duke & Mich St. last night and they can both shoot the lights out.  Greenberg had his style of play and it was fun to watch(sometimes) and he won alot of games so leave him alone. HISTORY.  I didn't like him after I realized all he wanted from USF was a stepping stone.  He never wanted to build a program and stay.  If he got to the post season and made any kind of run he was gone to the next highest bidder but as a coach he worked hard.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Markey Mark

Check out the 2 stats that I used and the top 20 teams from last year. Some real good teams on there. In fact quite a few of those teams made a pretty good run in the tourney (even the mid majors i.e. Utah State and Manhattan)

3 point percentage - St Joe's, UCONN, Marquette, Utah State, MSU, Gonzaga- all in the top 11 teams.

Free throw percentage- NC State, Arizona, MSU, Butler, Manhattan, Stanford, Gonzaga, Louisville, Florida, Marquette-all in the top 15.

Stats aren't everything but I've seen tons of games won and loss on the free throw line. I'd be willing to bet that the better teams are closer to the top in these categories than they are to the bottom.

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/stats/div1/team_free-throw_percentage

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/stats/div1/team_three-point_field-goal_percentage

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Plus you will always have that aberation(Hack-a-Shaq) player on a team that is great but never can quite get those free thows in.