• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From Tampa Sports comm.  - FAMU/USF Classic

Guest HowieP1

Rattlers Could Be Regular Visitors

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Nov 25, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida and Florida A&M officials announced Wednesday the Bulls and Rattlers will play Sept. 10 at Raymond James Stadium in the Tampa Bay Sports Commission Classic. And if the school's athletic directors can work out the details, it could become an annual event.

``We'd like to play USF in Tampa each year,'' FAMU AD Joseph Ramsey said. ``USF would be an ideal fit because of their fan base and football program is growing. Why go out and search for someone else, when you have the perfect fit?''

Ramsey and USF AD Doug Woolard have discussed extending the series as many as five years.

``We'll see how the response is to [the 2005] game,'' Woolard said. ``Everyone's been enthusiastic and excited. If that's the way it unfolds and the community is really receptive and it works well, I think it's a game we should look at playing more than one time.''

USF will pay FAMU $250,000 - the most the Bulls have paid a visiting team. FAMU also will split net ticket revenue with USF once attendance exceeds 31,000. If the game draws a capacity crowd of 65,000, as FAMU officials predict, FAMU would earn about an additional $306,000 for a $556,000 payday.

Whether it develops into an annual event could hinge on when, or if, the NCAA approves 12-game schedules. ``We will continue to work with USF and Florida A&M to determine the feasibility and frequency of this outstanding event,'' Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director Rob Higgins said. ``We feel the tradition of Florida A&M football in our community is something that should continue for many years to come.''

Ramsey said if a USF series doesn't get done, the I-AA Rattlers will look to play another school annually in Tampa.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBA89JAY1E.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

If the game draws a capacity crowd of 65,000, as FAMU officials predict..

They can bring 35-40K?

Or even 45 - 55 K

Whether it develops into an annual event could hinge on when, or if, the NCAA approves 12-game schedules. ``We will continue to work with USF and Florida A&M to determine the feasibility and frequency of this outstanding event,'' Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director Rob Higgins said. ``We feel the tradition of Florida A&M football in our community is something that should continue for many years to come.''

Ramsey said if a USF series doesn't get done, the I-AA Rattlers will look to play another school annually in Tampa.

Sounds like FAMU is the anchor to the annual classic, not the Bulls.  Someone alluded to that earlier with an FAMU/FAU(?) matchup...

Guest HowieP1

Souds crazy but look:

There is some reason for optimism. FAMU is the state's largest historically black college and has a sizable alumni base in Miami-Dade County and throughout the state. Last week's Florida Classic in Orlando drew 71,153.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

That is one hell of a deal for FAMU.

I think Woolard may have made a mistake in giving up that much cash.  You know other teams are going to try to hold us to a higher dollar level now.  If you'll pay a I-AA a base of $250,000 then you'd have to pay much more for a I-A opponent.

I'd love to play poker with Woolard.

Last week's Florida Classic in Orlando drew 71,153.

I think it's a serious mistaked to think that FAMU could draw like that to a USF game in Tampa....FAMU/BCC is an event for many, including those that did not go to either school.  I doubt seriously they could bring that to Tampa.  Who has their home and away attendance figures for this year?  Someone have a link?

Again, I'm with Omni...I'll sit at that table.

Guest HowieP1
That is one hell of a deal for FAMU.

I think Woolard may have made a mistake in giving up that much cash.  You know other teams are going to try to hold us to a higher dollar level now.  If you'll pay a I-AA a base of $250,000 then you'd have to pay much more for a I-A opponent.

I'd love to play poker with Woolard.

I think the deal had fallen through last year because they wanted $300,000. As a result we didn't get to a bowl game.

Evidently, Woolard expects them to pack em in and, if they do, USF stands to earn a possible extra $300,000+ that they wouldn't get against any other 1-AA team. So, it could end up being a good deal for both parties.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Howie, a potential one game good deal if it sells out still isn't worth it.  You've now set the bar at $250,000 for what you are willing to pay a I-AA team to come to Tampa.  Other I-AA teams will exploit this and I-A teams will laugh and demand an extra $150,00 or more.

This was a TERRIBLE deal.  While we may benefit in one game it will cost us a hell of a lot of money in the future.  Remember we only get 3 or 4 conference home games per year.  That means we will have to have 2 or 3 OCC home games per year.  Our future bills just got a lot more expensive.

You can certainly mark this down as the first bonehead move Woolard has made at USF.

Guest HowieP1

I think it's a serious mistaked to think that FAMU could draw like that to a USF game in Tampa....FAMU/BCC is an event for many, including those that did not go to either school.  I doubt seriously they could bring that to Tampa.  Who has their home and away attendance figures for this year?  Someone have a link?

Again, I'm with Omni...I'll sit at that table.

I'm skeptical as well.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the Tampa Bay Sports commission and other related organizations will pump this event up BIG TIME and make it into a real happening.