• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How many true Freshman we have starting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

or seeing significant playing time.  I saw this quote from Shannon at UM and was pretty surprised!

On the eight season-ending injuries and the fact UM will still have to rely on several true freshmen to play valuable minutes this season: "[The depth isn't where we want it to be] I said that at the beginning of the season, we talked, we still have a lot holes to fix as far as depth on this football team. Everybody wants to say we're back. We're doing a great job. This football team is doing a great job. But when you're playing a true freshman like Curtis Porter that means we're not back. We have to keep recruiting."

wow, I just didn't realize the separation between USF and the elite is that big.  We expect high recruits to play and contribute, they expect them to sit on the bench.

Don't get me wrong we are close, but I am guessing we are probably another 2-3 years away from only having freshman play because we can't keep their talent on the bench not because there is no one better.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Kayvon Webster and Sterling Griffin have started occasionally. That's it. Only other freshman to play significantly are Sam Barrington and Lindsey Lamar -- Lamar's actually started two games as a receiver, but has otherwise barely played the position. Ryne Giddins played a few series but should get that year back from a medical redshirt ...

• Content Count:  4,879

and Shannon just said "playing", not starting.  We may not plateau out at that level for 10 years

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

if freshman arent making big contribution they should red shirt

leavitt never seems to get this right

our recruiting stinks as we should have had a boatload of freshman playing

• Content Count:  667

wow, I just didn't realize the separation between USF and the elite is that big.  We expect high recruits to play and contribute, they expect them to sit on the bench.

Don't get me wrong we are close, but I am guessing we are probably another 2-3 years away from only having freshman play because we can't keep their talent on the bench not because there is no one better.

please don't use lack of talent as an excuse.  we're tired of that excuse and it's been used before.  cincinnati won the big east with a backup QB with a broken hand last year.

• Content Count:  971

I forget the origin of the quote, but there was a famous old ball coach that once stated you should expect to lose one game for every true freshman you start.  Maybe the times have changed.  GB!

please don't use lack of talent as an excuse.  we're tired of that excuse and it's been used before.  cincinnati won the big east with a backup QB with a broken hand last year.

We are not lacking Talent, we are lacking talent with experience.

Additionally I would say, Cincy is not an elite team.  Shannon is saying they are not there because they have a freshman playing... what does that say about us?

See you don't obviously understand talent by itself does not win games, speed and talent allows you to stay discipline and conservative to maintain position, but still make a play.  What you see with USF is a young team with TALENT.  There speed gets them more out of position than a less talented player or team and most of the time they can get back and still make the play.  See 65 yard QB draw for example.

So for an analogy, I played pro ball with the fastest guy I have ever seen in the outfield, tons of talent.  A ball would be hit to him and he would run 30 feet the wrong way then run back and still catch the ball.... most of the time.  He never figured it out and therefore never made it.

I would also venture to guess Experience will trump talent most days!  i.e Ben Moffitt

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I forget the origin of the quote, but there was a famous old ball coach that once stated you should expect to lose one game for every true freshman you start.  Maybe the times have changed.  GB!

that may have applied 10 years ago

look at all freshman playing in country----

look at matt barkley at usc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at all rookie qbs that perform in nfl last couple of years

USF SHOULD HAVE MANY MORE FRESHMAN STARTING BUT WE DONT DO A GOOD JOB RECRUITING

GIVE ME TALENT EVERYTIME OVER Experience

USF SHOULD HAVE MANY MORE FRESHMAN STARTING BUT WE DONT DO A GOOD JOB RECRUITING

Matt Barkley is the exception!  He is a freak and well beyond his years.

Now as for talent vs. experience. I would want talent too... Experience will come.  You can't teach talent...

I want Talent that has experience, playing and talent sitting on the bench.

USF does have talent and does a good job recruiting, hence the freshman playing over the more experienced upper classman.  Could it be better?  umm.... yes

• Content Count:  1,478

USC has already lost their "one game" for the true freshmen matt barkley being the starting quarterback

Archived