• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NY Times - The Quad: Cincinnati’s Secret Weapon

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Cincinnati’s Secret Weapon

By Pete Thamel

When Cincinnati takes the field Thursday night against the University of South Florida, the Bearcats will most likely have Bible scriptures written on their arms in marker. Hundreds of miles away, in a hotel room in Cincinnati, Mitch Stone and his mother, Dee, will be watching intently.

As I wrote Thursday in The New York Times, Stone is the hidden inspiration behind the Bearcats; the team adopted him over the summer through the Friends of Jaclyn program. Friends of Jaclyn is a program that matches brain tumor patients with college sports teams.

It began with the Northwestern women’s lacrosse team adopting 10-year-old Jaclyn Murphy, who at the time was suffering from a brain tumor. The team sent her streams of texts and calls, comforting her during the seemingly endless rounds of treatments. When, in the hospital one day, a girl in the bed next to Jaclyn said, “Who keeps calling you?,†she explained it was the Northwestern team. When the girl was wheeled away to her next treatment, Murphy told her father, “We need to get that girl a team.â€

Read the rest... and watch the video there

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Is it really a secret if he's writing about it?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

Is it really a secret if he's writing about it?

hahahaha, I was thinking that as soon as I read the title of the thread

Archived