• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The BJ era begins today

BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

I know most of you wont read this until after the game, but it doesn't really change anything.  I haven't really posted since last season, but I have been reading.  I have seen some ridiculous posts regarding the whole Grothe/Daniels situation.  I've had these thoughts for a while, but held off posting it to let emotions settle.

First off, what happened to Matt was terrible, and I was sad to have had to see it.  I was looking forward to seeing what Matt could do his senior year, to see if he could lead us to a Big East title.  If Matt were healthy, I would certainly want him to be starting today, and for the rest of the season.  He has the talent, experience, and he obviously has earned it.

However, I believe that this injury actually helps our program in the long run.  It certainly hurts us in today's game, and it may even hurt us over the course of this whole year, but the experience BJ is going to gain from playing this year is going to be invaluable.  This is common sense, I know, but it seems some people don't realize that simple fact, and some people have flamed others for pointing out such fact.

BJ is a better raw talent than Matt; I think pretty much everyone agrees on that.  If he develops like we expect him to, he's going to be downright scary his senior year. This extra year of starting time could really really help us.

Matt's injury very well may have cost us the Big East title this year. Who knows? Matt may not have won the Big East and BJ still might.  BJ is now going to be better in 2010 than he would have been without the Grothe injury, and that's going to compound every year. As slim as the chances may be, a senior BJ with this extra year of starting experience might lead us into the National Title picture.  Now, I'm not drinking on the kool-aid and saying this is likely to happen, but I dont think anybody can say that it's out of the question after last year.  We were somehow ranked #2 and were in control of our destiny, so anything can happen.

BJ + play time = better BJ = more wins = better recruits = even more wins

We are all upset about what happened to Matt and wish what happened didnt, but I don't think it's wrong of us to admit that it helps, not hurts, the future of USF football.

I'm excited about this game.  I'm hoping BJ shines and leads us to a victory.  I have a feeling this one's going to be a close one either way.  I dunno, I have a good feeling about it. We just might pull this off.  If our defense is solid, I think BJ can lead the offense to 3-4 TDs if he plays well.  Perhaps I'm completely off and well get smashed, but I'm doubting that.  Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  2,277

Good post. I have to agree with you. What happened to Matt sux and may hurt us this season, but we will be better off in the long run.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  170

it is a "glass half full" perspective, to be sure

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Sorry to say I think it is a silly post. Grothe gave us the best chance to win THIS year. We may still win this year, but everything you are saying about BJ is based on if, if, if.

I must admit that I am a little baffled about how some have little respect for what Grothe accomplished. Putting things in perspective, Pat White was a 4 year starter with a strong supporting cast.It took him 4 years to set a record that Grothe took 3 years and 5 quarters to break. That was against basically the same competition. Grothe is a proven winner. We know nothing about how Daniels will react under any circumstances at this point.

• Content Count:  1,165

Sorry to say I think it is a silly post. Grothe gave us the best chance to win THIS year. We may still win this year, but everything you are saying about BJ is based on if, if, if.

I must admit that I am a little baffled about how some have little respect for what Grothe accomplished. Putting things in perspective, Pat White was a 4 year starter with a strong supporting cast.It took him 4 years to set a record that Grothe took 3 years and 5 quarters to break. That was against basically the same competition. Grothe is a proven winner. We know nothing about how Daniels will react under any circumstances at this point.

Of course everything I say about BJ is "if, if, if".  I don't know the future, and since he has yet to make a start, we honestly have no idea how he is going to perform or develop.  For me to try and state predictions as fact would be pretty stupid.

You aren't disagreeing with me.  I think people that were calling for BJ to start over Matt when he was healthy were silly.  Matt has done tremendous things for this program that I hope people don't undervalue.  I think I made it clear in my initial post that I in no way wanted BJ to start over Matt.  However, this obviously isnt a case where we have a decision to make.

Even minus the Matt injury, BJ is the man for the next several years after this season.  It's definitely possible he will not develop into a superstar, he will a a minimum be a little bit better in 2010 than he would be starting zero games this year.  And hey, say we are unlucky and it turns out that BJ is a total bust and really can't do a thing, we at least find that out sooner and can go into 2010 with somebody else.

This post might be a bit silly or whatever.  A lot of it has been mentioned in various threads over the weak, but I was bored and excited about the game.  But I don't think anything I said it incorrect

Archived