• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Check out George Selvie Article.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football

August 12, 2009

Olin Buchanan

Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

A number of factors can cause an individual to go from distinguished to disappointing in one season.

One season, a player is an All-America candidate; the next, he's almost unnoticed.

0990-USFGEORGESELVIE_250.JPG

George Selvie aims to show last season was an aberration.

The reasons can be a nagging injury, a matter of opponents' adjustments or as simple as some poor performances.

But some players come back strong. After a strong freshman season in which he threw 29 touchdown passes and seven interceptions, Texas quarterback Colt McCoy regressed as a sophomore, throwing 18 interceptions. He bounced back as junior, with 34 touchdown passes and just eight interceptions in leading Texas to a 12-1 record last season.

USF defensive end George Selvie, a former All-America, is the best known of a group of players aiming for similar rebounds this season.

As a sophomore in 2007, Selvie emerged as one of the premier defensive forces in the country when he posted 14.5 sacks and 31.5 tackles for loss. With Selvie leading a stout defense, USF posted nine victories and climbed as high as No. 2 in the national polls.

But Selvie and the Bulls faltered last season. USF finished sixth in the eight-team Big East and Selvie, slowed by an ankle injury and facing double- and triple-teams from offenses that schemed to contain him, had 5.5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss.

"It was tough at first out there against those teams doing all that stuff," Selvie said of the double-team blocks he faced. "I struggled at first, but I got used to it."

In 2007, USF led the nation with 42 forced turnovers. Last season, the Bulls ranked tied for 97th with just 17. A 25-turnover decrease can't solely be blamed on a weakened pass rush, but that surely played a significant role.

Selvie wasn't the only player to endure a dramatic drop in production last season. Indiana defensive end Greg Middleton managed only one-fourth of his '07 sack total. Wake Forest running back Josh Adams' rushing yardage was more than cut in half. The same was true for Kent State running back Eugene Jarvis.

Selvie is confident he and the Bulls can make a big comeback this season.

"It's now or never," said Selvie, a senior. "I have to win a [big East] championship this year. I can't hold anything back. There's no next year at South Florida for me."

That doesn't necessarily mean Selvie must equal or surpass his '07 sack total. Rather, he just needs to remain the same pass-rush threat and hope teammates can take advantage when he is double-teamed.

"I know our defense has a lot of great players," Selvie said. "If [opponents] are double-teaming me, some guys are going to get free and make plays. After a while, they're going to have to start accounting for those players, so then I'll be free to do whatever I want."

On the rebound

Here's a look at five players aiming to bounce back from disappointing showings in '08:

Patrick Robinson's talent is needed in the FSU secondary.

USF DE George Selvie: Selvie frequently faced double-teams and was hindered by a gimpy ankle last season. But great players still find a way to get the job done, and Selvie struggled to get to the quarterback in '08. Perhaps his '07 performance was so outlandish that he raised expectations to unrealistic levels. That season, he posted 14.5 sacks, was credited with 13 quarterback hurries and had 31.5 tackles for loss. Last season, he had 5.5 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and just three hurries.

Indiana DE Greg Middleton: The reasons for Indiana's drop from seven victories in '07 to three last season were numerous – the departure of star wide receiver Greg Hardy, inconsistency at quarterback and an emotional letdown, among others. Middleton's decline certainly was a factor, too. In '07, Middleton was a first-team All-Big Ten performer after leading the nation with a school-record 16 sacks. Last season, his total plummeted to four and he received no postseason honors. The Hoosiers desperately need him to re-emerge.

Florida State CB Patrick Robinson: Robinson, a senior, has seven career interceptions, but six came during his sophomore season. In '07, Robinson tied a school record by grabbing an interception in five consecutive games. Last season, he managed just one pick. Robinson looked sharp in spring practice and some feel he's destined to be Florida State's next great cornerback. A spike in his interceptions would prove that.

Kent State RB Eugene Jarvis: As a sophomore, the diminutive Jarvis – he's 5 feet 5 and 170 pounds – was a record-breaking machine. He set Kent State standards for rushing yards (1,669 yards), rushing yards per game (139.1) and 100-yard games (nine). Jarvis entered the '08 season as the nation's leading returning rusher; this season, he's not in the top 20 on that list. His rushing yardage was more than cut in half last season (801 yards). He was hobbled by injuries that kept him out of three games and reached the 100-yard plateau just four times. Despite Jarvis' struggles, Kent State improved from three wins to four. But if the Golden Flashes are going to contend in the MAC, they need Jarvis at his best.

Arizona State WR Chris McGaha: McGaha's decline in production didn't cause Arizona State's drop from 10 victories in '07 to five last season. But it was definitely a problem. McGaha had just 35 receptions (26 fewer than '07) for 501 yards (329 fewer). He's the most experienced receiver for the Sun Devils, who have a new quarterback leading the offense. He doesn't have to lead the Sun Devils in receiving, but he needs to be more productive. Another subpar season for McGaha may mean another below-.500 mark in Tempe.

Archived