• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Back from B'Ham - Game report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

Just wanted to weigh in on the game.  I was lucky (???) enough to sit through the monsoon last night at Legion Field.

-This was my first USF roadie, so I was stoked no matter who the opponent would have been.

-Legion Field is an absolute dump.  It is a shame considering all of the memorable football that has been played there.  That is probably the most antiquated facility I have ever stepped foot in.  Luckily, the upper deck hasn't collapsed yet, because is saved me and my dad from floating away.  That rain was of biblical proportion!

-Props to the gang of USF students that stood behind our bench for the entirety of the game.  It'll be days before they are completely dried out.

-The best part of the game being on a rainy Wednseday night --- nobody was there.  The 9,000 attendance figure was generous.  The game had a high school feeling to it.  Lack of fans meant we sat about 10 rows up at the 50 yd line right behind our bench when we weren't under the sieve-like upper deck taking shelter from Noah and the Ark part II.

-Our defense really stepped it up in the second half.  Leavitt was all over Coach Kravitz in the first half, and I guess he made the right adjustments.  Second half the defense was flying.

-Leavitt/Royal - - I was happy to see that Leavitt actually pulled a kid for a stupid penalty.  I didn't quite care for Royal's reaction.  I'm not all for watching players yelling at coaches.  However, getting yanked made this kid a beast.  He was drilling people after that.  

-The B'ham paper was all over UAB this morning.  They have basically turned on the team.  Given the loss to Tulane last week, coupled with last night's game, the media and fans have basically called the team a fraud.  The recap of the game an accompanying articles ripped the team a new one, and continually called them overrated.

-Andre Hall -- The more I see of this kid, the more I love him.  His attitude is far superior to anyone on this team.  He was all over the sidelines last night pumping everyone up.  His abilities on the field speak for themselves.  His low running style and willingness to give the hit rather than receive it are what makes this kid go.  He is a special player, and I was glad that his breakout game came on national TV.

-Rain aside, it was a fantastic game for my first roadie._

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Interesting read-- glad you got to go to a road game.

-The B'ham paper was all over UAB this morning.  They have basically turned on the team.  Given the loss to Tulane last week, coupled with last night's game, the media and fans have basically called the team a fraud.  The recap of the game an accompanying articles ripped the team a new one, and continually called them overrated.

One thing good about this is that the team may respond and start beating other teams up. I'm not sure that is a good thing for us if it comes down to UAB versus USF for a bowl slot somehow (I can dream...)-- but any more wins by them makes our victory that much sweeter.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Hey Omni-- you went to this game too, right?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  226

If we end up tied with UAB at the end of the season and they still only draw 10k in their stadium, I doubt any bowl will want that kind of representation.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

There is such a shortage of major-conference bowl-eligible teams this year that anyone who gets to 6-5 will likely go. That's gonna lead to some real dull bowl games, like 6-5 UAB vs. 6-5 Rice in the Hawaii Bowl. If you think the stands were empty in Birmingham Wednesday night...