• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Pen Membership for the FSU Game ?

How many of y'all are going to the FSU game?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

It's on a Saturday... and many Jews observe the Sabbath (Shabbat) and don't work, watch TV, drive a car, etc... (It's a day of rest)

Rabbi can explain it in far better details than this goy

You pretty much got it right.  From sunset on Friday till sunset on Saturday Jews observe what is called the Sabbath.  We are commanded to keep the Sabbath by Hashem(G-d) as a day of rest where we take a break from the work week and don't do anything but pray to Hashem (G-d) thanking Hashem for creating the world.  On the Sabbath we do not use anything electronic (phone, TV, computer, etc.); we also do not carry money or drive on the Sabbath.  Also one may not carry anything outside of the house unless we are in an Eruv ([http://www.chabad.org/search/keyword_cdo/kid/10766/jewish/Eruv.htm/url]).  There are a lot of rules behind the observance of the Sabbath.

Matt and Jimsig, I usually ignore Flsportsfan when he makes comments like that, it shows how ignorant he really is.  I suggest you ignore those comments as well.

Serious question, aren't there variations of Judaism?  We have a local synagogue that is packed with cars on Saturday's.  Though I was in Baltimore on a recent weekend and they have a Jewish section and I saw everybody wearing black and walking to synagogue on a Saturday morning (guys in beards, etc).  I think those were Hacidic Jews (sp?).   

Yes there are variations of Judaism and some do not keep Sabbath, those who are religious, usually just the Orthodox Jews with a few other Jews from different sects that do keep it.  Jews wearing black and walking on a Saturday morning with beards and everything would be Hasidic Jews or the Ultra-Orthodox (its really fascinating to research and to read up on).

cool.  Good info and thanks for enlightening me.  I work with a messianic Jew.  I never knew there was an option to be jewish and believe in Jesus.  Anyway your response shed some light for me as I was a bit confused. I guess it is like the different variations of Christianity (ie baptist, methodist, presby, episcipol, greek orthodox, catholic, lutheran, etc). All have similar beliefs at the foundation but different customs and interpretations.

Actually you can't be Jewish and believe in Jesus.  It is really a oxymoron to be Jewish and to also believe in Jesus.  Jesus while a Jew, compared himself to G-d, and to the Jewish people there is only one G-d.  Messianic "Jews" also go out and prosyltize which is against Judaism.  Messianic "Jews" are the blacksheep of Judaism.

this is the most educational post on a sports message board i have ever read. i learned more from y'all than i did an entire semester of taking into to western rel in college!

glad you got something out of it and learned something.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

I am coming up with a group of 5!

Go Bulls......

Then coming back later to see the Yellow Jackets put a beatdown on FSWho.

Here is hoping my schools can go 2-0 in Tally.

Ty

Archived