• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Positions of Strength in BE

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  0

Don't think many will be surprised that DL is thought to be ours. WR received an honorable mention

Big East position groups that are simply loaded

May 28, 2009 8:45 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

All teams are not created equal. And not all positions on a given team are on a level playing field.

There are some position groups that are much stronger than others. Today, we take a look at the areas where some Big East teams are simply loaded:

• South Florida's defensive line: Probably the most impressive-looking group, physically speaking, that I saw all spring. The Bulls' D-line is full of tall, rangy, athletic specimens. There's George Selvie, of course, but don't forget about Terrell McClain and Aaron Harris. And when Jason Pierre-Paul and Ryne Giddins come in this summer, the defensive line is going to be even more loaded.

• Pittsburgh's defensive line: The Panthers defensive front is just as strong as South Florida's, but in a different way. Dave Wannstedt prefers undersized, hyper-athletic players up front, and he's got them in spades with Greg Romeus, Jabaal Sheard and Mick Williams, among others.

• Rutgers' offensive line: The Scarlet Knights return all five starters from their offensive front, the only team in the Big East to do so. But this is more than just a collection of veterans. There are real stars on this unit in left tackle Anthony Davis and Rimington Trophy candidate Ryan Blaszczyk at center. Throw in improving right tackle Kevin Haslam, and you've got one loaded line.

• Connecticut's linebackers: All three of the Huskies' starting linebackers -- Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson and Greg Lloyd -- are back, as well as the top three backups. And one of UConn's top recruits, Mike Osiecki, also plays linebacker. This is one position that's in extremely good hands for Randy Edsall.

• West Virginia's linebackers: The duo of Reed Williams and J.T. Thomas are about as good as it gets in the Big East. Anthony Leonard, who started last year, is running second-string behind Williams at the middle spot. The Mountaineers need to find a consistent player at the other outside slot, but they have solid candidates in Pat Lazear and Ovid Golbourne, among others.

Others considered: Cincinnati's wide receivers, Connecticut's safeties, Louisville's wide receivers, Rutgers' linebackers, South Florida's wide receivers, Syracuse's running backs and West Virginia's defensive line.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-8-193/Big-East-position-groups-that-are-simply-loaded.html

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,757

Pretty cool... but I think we all know how loaded the D-line is.

I think the RB's for this team may be the most underrated group in the BE.  If a feature back can emerge (assuming no injuries) this group has the speed and talent to explode.     

• Content Count:  849

I think the RB's for this team may be the most underrated group in the BE.  If a feature back can emerge (assuming no injuries) this group has the speed and talent to explode.     

I agree wholeheartedly with you but I think there success will be directly correlated to how well our o-line gels together

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

rutgers oline will dominate bulls again

\

sadly

• Content Count:  4,016

rutgers oline will dominate bulls again

\

sadly

That may be true their OL is **** good, but will they have the QB and receivers this year to exploit the opportunities is the question. 

Also, will the RU defense have as much success against us as they did last year.

• Content Count:  1,757

I agree wholeheartedly with you but I think there success will be directly correlated to how well our o-line gels together

I think if the RB's come out hot early, they may make actually help the O-line  to gel (by making them look better than they are).  That would be the best scenario as it can only help boost the confidence of the big boys while they're learning to gel together.  Loosing four starters hurts, but the upside of the replacements (as compared to the players lost to graduation) certainly does give reason to be optimistic.  Having the 3 lightweights to start the season helps the line situation too.  FSU game will be the first test, and I'm not sure we'll see a stronger test for our O-line until Pitt or even Miami. 

As far as RU's offensive line, with the BE officials letting them get away with murder I'm afraid Smazza may be correct.  No way their O-line could keep up with our D-line if we had neutral officials.   

• Content Count:  4,016

yeah but their OL is that good.  They have two four stars, and a five star HS kid (Anthony Davis) manning that line and I believe all five starters return.  My question is they lost one of their top RB's, their top TE, their top three WR's to include Britt (who has tore us up), and the QB.  Do they have the experience and talent at the skill positions to exploit the opportunities the OL might give them.  In other words, you can give their QB time, but if our secondary is blanketing the receivers the QB's not going to have anyone to throw to.

Archived