• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looks like we might miss the Robert Marve sweepstakes! lol

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

A little honesty in this whole process would probably help clear things up, but most of us can only go on what we see.

Marve chooses UM over local USF (fine, it happens, no big deal).

Marve doesn't do that great at UM on the field and has problems off the field as well to the point he loses his job to Harris.

Marve claims father's illness is a reason he needs to be released from his commitment to Miami.

Miami imposes restrictions on his transfer. 

Marve uses his dad's cancer as THE MAIN REASON Miami shouldn't be able to put these restrictions on him BC HE WANTS TO BE CLOSE TO HIS DAD.

Miami gives the ok on UCF, USF etc, Marve still not happy bc UF (though further) isn't on the list.

Miami, losing a PR battle against a kid and his dying father all but give him his complete walking papers.

Marve, now being granted all he's asked for and received BC OF HIS FATHER'S ILLNESS, now passes on the open arms USF extends.  (remember, when this first went down, the majority of this board despite feeling good about BJ, still wanted to give him a shot being a local product.)

Marve rejects the offer in favor of adding new schools to the list.  Not schools within a days drive mind you, but schools like Michigan, Arizona, schools as far away from Tampa as one can get.  Wait a minute, wasn't his proximity to his father the main PR missile against Miami?  Is he healed?

And here we are, how many months later and USF isn't even a favorite despite being in his DAD's backyard and letting him do anything he wants from meeting with players to attending practice etc?  Yet we still aren't even a favorite?

Yeah, ok.  Actions speak louder than words and you've got to be crazy not to see this situation for what it is.  We're a late night booty call insurance policy.  If all else fails, he'll "settle" for USF despite it having the best combination of features he stated as his #1 reason for leaving Miami in the first place.

Hey, I was a big fan of the kid and was disappointed when we missed on him and was happy to have another shot at him post Miami though I still didn't think he could beat out BJ, but I wanted to welcome back a local kid who may need a fresh start.  But you get what you give in this world and don't expect a fan base to fall in love with a guy when he obviously makes no bones about his feelings towards USF.

Please show me where the above is wrong.  Looks to me like someone lost his playing time after screwing up on and off the field and then manipulated Miami with his dad's illness to be able to sign with another team, hopefully UF and it didn't work out and he's now trying to find a spot where he can win the most playing time and USF is only a last ditch option if nothing else falls in his lap.  Yeah, that really gets me fired up and I'm sure it's doing wonders for USF on the recruiting trail right now with a kid who doesn't even have us leading when we're a legitimate program in his back yard where is father is ill, have a senior QB with a chance to win the conference in the near future.  All items they've listed as a priority...It shouldn't even be a race at this point is the opinion of many here if all we've been told is TRUE. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  667

We're a late night booty call insurance policy.  If all else fails, he'll "settle" for USF despite it having the best combination of features he stated as his #1 reason for leaving Miami in the first place.

here is where you are wrong-- you keep taking it personally.  college football is as much a business as it is an academic/athletic venture.  kids want to go to places where they can get playing time.  i guarantee you, despite all your proclamations of our players being prideful and altruistic in their intentions, a good majority of our players came to USF for PLAYING TIME (aside from all this crap about "yea, i wanna be a bull").  if they were offered the same amount of playing time at UF/FSU/UM or even out of state schools like USC/LSU/UGA/etc, they would have gone elsewhere.  we've built our program on kids who wouldnt get playing time at other schools, as well as JUCO kids who weren't smart enough to get into other schools their first time around.

now, we've come across a kid in marve who is a Real Big Time talent who had neither of those question marks coming out of high school-- he pretty much had his pick of where to go and it didnt work out there-- but he still has a lot of value on the market (as evidenced by all the coaching staffs from all the schools that are still courting him, USF included).. so, of course he's going to take his time.  again, maybe eugene marve has recovered from his illness and it is no longer a factor-- we dont know, so stop making it PERSONAL.  right now, marve is trying to do what's best for him and there are obviously schools willing to give him time to make his decision (like USF).  keep fighting the notion of marve coming here-- you're just showing everyone how much you do not trust our coaching staff and think what they are doing is wrong.

• Content Count:  2,523

I still haven't seen how the way this is being handled is great for USF...

Local kid, sick dad offered free ride by D1 school who is a top 30 program miles from home, just had a top 25 recruiting class (best in school history by far), Sr. QB, backups not established and a chance to win a conference championship.

What school can check off that many items on that list the Marve camp laid out when he left Miami?

The fact is this PR nightmare for all involved stems from the fact he not only got beat out, but the other off the field problems he got into which led to him being suspended.  This goes to speak to just how committed was he to being a starting QB and the face of a university?  This isn't a RB, LB or DB, but the guy the team markets every time they take the field as the "leader". 

Did he exhibit the traits you want in a leader while he was at Miami?  They don't seem to think so.

Then we move to how did he get his release.  Basically killed Miami in the press using his dad's illness to open up the door to play "close to home".  But really, all of it pointed to him wanting to go to UF or UT, never USF.  All of those things he supposedly had to have to warrant his release from UM USF offers and then they are not even the leader with schools who don't offer half of those things?  Location?  Nope.  Chance at a conference title?  Nope. 

Please tell me what most are thinking in this process...How is USF not the choice if those things actually mattered?  Or was it a lie to get his release and now he's just shopping for what's best for him?

Makes USF look incredibly desperate sticking this thing out for months on end when they have a SR. QB for this season and a 4 star QB who will have 2 FULL YEARS learning under him in the system by the time he's needed plus another one in Landi who shows promise and whoever else we recruit this year.

We don't have schollies to burn in case you haven't noticed for such a long shot to work out anyway.  I tend to like my chances better with a kid who can keep up with class requirements while playing not one, but TWO sports at the university who happens to also be a pretty darn good athlete with more time in the system.

Let's use that schollie on building depth for the future with a kid like Carnes or who knows whatever position we may have a shot at where that one schollie could help.

• Content Count:  1,797

Where you are wrong is where you write that Marve rejects the offer and opens up his recruitment to ther schools.  I haven't heard any reports that indicate he has rejected our offer.  He hasn't decided where he will transfer.  As Bullpride has mentioned numerous times, there is NEVER a direct quote from Marve or his father in these articles...including the one in question.  These articles are generated from outsiders.  When Marve was at a USF spring practice he and his dad looked like they were oh so happy according to witnesses at the scene, almost like he was part of the team already.  Some journalists and recruiting site folks saw this and could have rushed to their computers and wrote that Marve favors USF...but they did not.  I just think everyone is getting flummoxed about this for no reason.  I hope Marve signs with us to upgrade our depth at QB, but if he doesn't, well, see ya later and good luck.

Normal

• Content Count:  3,403

well known fact that he used his father's illness to open up the transfer options.  He wasn't that good as a freshman, much worse than Grothe was his freshman year, and BJ and Landi look great.

Purdue fans might be excited that he's going there because they don't have a QB.  We do.  We also have limited scholarships for next year, potentially, so why use 1 up on a project unless both BJ and Landi can play other positions (we'll see if Landi works out at WR).

Meanwhile, the important battle is against Georgia for Brion Carnes.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Purdue fans might be excited that he's going there because they don't have a QB.

They also have a new coach - Joe Tiller retired at the end of last year. Being able to pull a "heralded" transfer QB from Miami would, in theory at least, help the new guy get off the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if they're really making a big push for Marve.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I believe Purdue signed more Florida players this year than any other out of state school, so he should feel right at home there.

"I still think he's in that decision-orbiting mode," his father said Wednesday night. LOL

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=943650

Archived