• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daequon Montreal commits to....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Boise State. Well normally this would hurt but when you think about it we have a guy named Gus Gilchrist at the 4 spot and he's pretty good. A JC player such as Montreal had to heavily weight that against what other schools had to offer. I wish we could have gotten him but you win some and loose some.

BTW This is just a thought but does anybody stratch their head on the fact that Boise State was able to jump in on Montreal this late and get him. We aren't talking about UK or UCONN, but Boise St. Hmmmmmm......

• Content Count:  1,913

There's a little more to it. Working on an update now, but USF backed off after another player came available ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Is this Toarlyn Fitzpatrick you're referring to?  Or someone else?

• Content Count:  5,982

There's a little more to it. Working on an update now, but USF backed off after another player came available ...

Yeah a friend of mine expected they would after it was decided that he was going to visit Boise St.

I'm hearing rumors out of Arkansas about a similar situation on Bryant. They are just rumors however. I do know that Ark has another SF visiting their campus this weekend and both parties are very high on each other. Maybe some slow playing going on with Bryant, I don't know. Supposily Bryant is going to visit another school before making a decision. Hopefully you'll have something on him later today.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Who will join Famous in signing with the Bulls this week? It won't be junior college forward Daequon Montreal, who visited USF earlier this month and had the Bulls atop his list. USF apparently has backed off from Montreal, allowing him to visit Boise State this past weekend and commit there, because another power forward came available.

That recruit is Tampa King senior Toarlyn Fitzpatrick, a 6-foot-8, 230-pound power forward who had signed with Georgia Southern in the fall, but has since requested a release from his letter of intent after coach Jeff Price resigned last month.

Fitzpatrick, who had offers from Florida State and Miami when he chose Georgia Southern, has worked out in open gyms at USF in recent weeks and impressed players and coaches. USF has gotten a release to speak with Fitzpatrick, who would be the Bulls' first signee from Hillsborough County since Zaronn Cann in fall 2004.

Posted by Greg Auman at 2:32:33 PM on April 20, 2009 | Permalink | Comments (18)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  219
  • Days Won:  0

This guy doesn't sound like a reason to back off Montreal.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Seems like good size and a double-double kind of guy in high school.  But I'm no recruiting guy.  Gave that up a long time ago.

Anyone remember what a coup Zaronn Cann was, even with a bum knee?

• Content Count:  1,913

I know USF was high on him, so this speaks to their interest in Fitzpatrick. It could be that they're comparable, and USF likes having a four-year player instead of two. Another tiebreaker: building local ties -- this would be their first Hillsborough signee in four years.

Seems like good size and a double-double kind of guy in high school.  But I'm no recruiting guy.  Gave that up a long time ago.

Anyone remember what a coup Zaronn Cann was, even with a bum knee?

Zaronn was a big time recruit. Too bad he couldn't overcome his injuries. We were going to allow him to stay on scholarship to get his degree, but I believe he still wanted to play basketball and eventually transferred out.

Some sites spell his first name a little differently. Rivals, for example, spells it "Torelyn."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=42821

c2s_hoopsA030109_58510c.jpg

Senior Toarlyn Fitzpatrick had a triple double in leading King with 18 points, 18 rebounds and 10 assists in an easy win Saturday.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketball/preps/article980170.ece?comments=legacy

Archived