• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Golf: Live Chat from BIG EAST Championships

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I play golf, but I know little to nothing of the rules.  What exactly is "grounding your club in a hazard"?

My best guess is that he took a swing when his ball was in a sand trap, missed the ball and did not mark down a stroke.

Am I close?

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

When I was at USF that phrase was reserved for most of the hookups with girls you saw the drunk guys end up with from Ybor...

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I play golf, but I know little to nothing of the rules.  What exactly is "grounding your club in a hazard"?

My best guess is that he took a swing when his ball was in a sand trap, missed the ball and did not mark down a stroke.

Am I close?

The way I understand it, you can not touch the ground in the hazard with your club (unless it is in an attempt to keep from falling) without being deemed grounding your club in a hazard. I believe it is a 2 stroke penalty. So I am assuming that the 2 stroke penalty was not addressed on his scorecard. But I'm not a golf expert.

• Content Count:  645

Am I close?

The way I understand it, you can not touch the ground in the hazard with your club (unless it is in an attempt to keep from falling) without being deemed grounding your club in a hazard. I believe it is a 2 stroke penalty. So I am assuming that the 2 stroke penalty was not addressed on his scorecard. But I'm not a golf expert.

Yep, that is essentially correct:

13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited ActionsExcept as provided in the Rules, before making a stroke at a ball that is in a hazard (whether a bunker or a water hazard) or that, having been lifted from a hazard, may be dropped or placed in the hazard, the player must not:

a. Test the condition of the hazard or any similar hazard;

b. Touch the ground in the hazard or water in the water hazard with his hand or a club; or

c. Touch or move a loose impediment lying in or touching the hazard.

It sounds like he was guilty of b., but did not add the 2 strokes.  When he signed an incorrect score card, he was Disqualified.

This happened to me in a tournament once, but luckily, I realized what I had done and called the penalty on myself.  Didn't really matter that day because I played horribly anyway.

• Content Count:  645

Live Chat again today. Some bad blood between USF and Notre Dame, after Nahal was DQ'd for grounding his club in a hazard. He is -2 through three day.

Can somebody tell me the story here?  Grounding your club in a hazard is a penalty, but it is not a DQ.  Unless he didn't call it and signed an incorrect scorecard.

Raj Nahal was disqualified after turning in his scorecard with an incorrect score on it. Nahal is disqualified for the opening round, but will be able to compete in the final two rounds.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=36733&SPID=2929&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=3723824

Both men and women finish 5th in BIG EAST Championships.

Thanks, I had not been able to find that article.  Guess I was looking in the wrong place

• Content Count:  742

That is pretty weak that he did not call it on himself and avoid the DQ.

Archived