• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WNIT experience, from one who was there

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Is there anything else for people to do in BFE, Kansas? Sadly, basketball is a way of life for them. Tampa is a metro city with an endless number of attractions and distractions that most people find more interesting than women hoops. I don't blame our fans. Glad we beat them.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I was also at the NCAA semifinals in St. Louis on Sunday night -- the atmosphere was NOT EVEN CLOSE to that raucous affair in Lawrence (that's what you get with a neutral site, I guess).  Empty seats by the thousands, made even more obvious by the bright red seat cushions that remained unclaimed in about 2/3 of the upper deck.  UConn's fan showing was actually a bit disappointing too.  Don't believe the printed attendance.  I am curious to find the ACTUAL attendance for the finals on Tuesday night (I'll be there as well) and wouldn't be surprised if the WNIT title game actually out-draws the womens NCAA championship game.

Now for some follow-up:

Yes, Doug Woolard made the trip to Kansas and even scaled the ladder to help cut down the net.

It was Grace borrowing the horn-hat after the win and a photo of her got posted on the ESPN website.  The article has since been bumped off the front of their Womens BBall page, but can still be found under the team page.

Lawrence, KS isn't really that far off the beaten path.  It's barely a half-hour drive outside Kansas City, directly off I-70.  The good people of Lawrence (and some KU fans who drove in from St. Louis and Colorado) don't normally go to such extremes for womens hoops (about 1000-2000 per game I'm told), but they packed the house knowing a title was at stake.  Someone told me that the last time the nets were actually cut down in Phog Allen Fieldhouse was in the late 1970s at an NCAA regional final.

NYbullsfan: good to hear from you again.  Too bad you missed out on that 6-OT thriller in the Garden!  The guy you sold your tickets to took a nasty spill down the stairs celebrating when he thought Syracuse won at the end of regulation.

Archived