• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We could use this one

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

I hope Jarrid Famous's (6' 10" hoops recruit) visit goes well this weekend.  We need size and talent added to our hoops program.  Famous could supply both, and he has the added benefit of experience as a juco guy.

Normal

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

We need him and another big guy. We should have 3 scholarships left right now, so 2 post players are critical.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I hope Jarrid Famous's (6' 10" hoops recruit) visit goes well this weekend.  We need size and talent added to our hoops program.  Famous could supply both, and he has the added benefit of experience as a juco guy.

Normal

690993.gif

I hope this guy didn't just take this free trip down here just so he could spend some time with his kinfolks.

The problem is that with Missouri having a strong run through the NCAAT they have moved clear out in front as the favorite to land Famous.

The thing is Famous would be a better fit at USF then he would playing for Missouri. I only hope that Heath and company was able to clearly point out the disadvantages of a man his size trying to play in that system run by Coach Anderson.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

The great game that Justin Safford played the other night for Mizzou should be warning enough for Famous.  I watched Justin play in HS here in Bloomington-Normal for the Central Catholic Saints and he has really grown into his body.  He will play most of the minutes at Famous's position at Mizzou.  At USF, Famous would play 30-35 minutes a night.

Hopefully CSH planted that bug in his ear this weekend.  I was hoping that Mr. Auman would update us on the visit, but GA seems to be off to Disney World or somewhere with his kids as if he has a home life or something.  ;D

Normal

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I little workout from Jarrid

/v/MthSAigxLjg&hl

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We need him and another big guy. We should have 3 scholarships left right now, so 2 post players are critical.

Here is another BIG guy who will be visiting USF:

3/29/2009 11:00:00 AM 

THE SKY'S THE LIMIT

sandimarcius.JPG

High School Basketball: La Lumiere's Sandi Marcius

Nick Dettmann

The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - On Thursday night, Purdue became a perimeter team because of the fear of Connecticut's 7-foot-3 Hasheem Thabeet.

The Boilermakers just couldn't get the ball inside, which limited their capabilities in their 12-point regional semifinal loss to the Huskies.

Now imagine this: How much easier would it have been for Purdue if it had a 6-foot-10, 250-pound guy to give the ball to in the paint?

Probably a lot easier. Maybe they could've won the game.

Sandi Marcius could be THAT guy.

Marcius, a La Lumiere School senior from Croatia, is drawing heavy interest from a number of Division I programs, including Purdue, Southern Methodist and South Florida.

"With a kid his size, his body, his physique and his athleticism," La Lumiere coach Delray Brooks said, "you don't run into too many players like that. He creates so many problems for your opponent, and so many opportunities for your team.

"You just don't see a high school senior built like him too often."

Marcius, who will participate in Saturday's Hoops Away For The United Way Charity All-Star Basketball Jam at Michigan City High School, is in his first year in the United States after growing up in Nedelisce, Croatia. It is located in the extreme northern part of the country, right along the Slovenian and Hungarian borders. An estimated 4,100 people reside there.

He came to the U.S. to pursue his dream of playing college and professional basketball. That dream began for him when he was in 10th grade.

"I wanted to know how people play (in the U.S.)," Marcius said.

Sports have always been a part of his life.

In fifth grade, he participated in track and field. He did shot put and high jump. In seventh grade, he played volleyball where he was a middle blocker.

It wasn't until he reached ninth grade when he began to play basketball regularly. He did play basketball for a brief period in fifth grade.

"We had a team in elementary school," Marcius said. "They needed some guys (in high school). So the coach invited me back. He kept asking me."

Marcius, who has relatives in Rochester, Minn., said soccer is the No. 1 sport in the country, followed by hand ball and then basketball.

The excitement around soccer is similar to what we go through with the NCAA tournament and the Super Bowl.

"It gets pretty crazy," Marcius said.

The NCAA tournament isn't as big of a deal in Europe, mostly because it is not available on television. It's only broadcast on the Internet. Seeing the excitement of the NCAAs is something different, but fun.

He has watched the tournament with much interest this year.

While watching Purdue's game Thursday, he began to think to himself, 'That could be me.'

"He would've helped," Brooks said. "He would've created some problems for them.

"... He's a low-post presence. He's going to be so much better a year from now than he is right now."

Marcius is the second European project for Brooks.

Last year, he groomed Luka Mirkovic, a native of Serbia, into learning the U.S. style of basketball, which Mirkovic, now at Northwestern, said was more physical than in Europe.

Marcius has learned the same lesson, but likes it because of his size.

"For me, the fun part or the excitement is seeing them be successful," Brooks said. "I'm not the easiest guy in the world to play for and I push the kids pretty hard. But I think in the end they appreciate it."

One of his toughest adjustments was free-throw shooting.

In Croatia, and like in most leagues beyond high school here in the U.S., players can enter the lane once the shot is in the air. They don't have to wait until the ball hits the rim, like they do in high school.

Marcius was whistled for a number of lane violations early on.

But he picked up on it quickly, just like he has for the sport in general. This season, he averaged 13 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks per game.

"He's a very smart kid," Brooks said. "I think he's going to be a terrific player."

Brooks, who's played in a Final Four, played for coaching legends, coached alongside legends, has been impressed with Marcius since the first day of practice. He said Marcius' dunks and follow up dunks and overall game was something he's never seen before in high school athlete.

Brooks said Marcius' closest comparison to players he's seen is Jamaal Magloire. But even that might be a stretch.

"He's different," Brooks said of Marcius. "He's even bigger and stronger than Jamaal Magloire and about the same athleticism. He's different.

"The sky's the limit for him. ... He'd be a big force in the Big Ten today."

An area Marcius said he wants to improve is his jump shot.

Growing up, Marcius towered over many of his classmates, thus forcing him to play primarily close to the basket. He does have the ability to shoot the jump shot, even as far away as a 3-pointer. It's just hitting it with consistency and with confidence is where he wants to get better.

"I was the only big guy on the team," he said. "And we had three or four good point guards. So it was pointless."

Purdue, SMU and USF are considered to be some of the front-runners for Marcius as Brooks said those three schools have been in the most consistent contact. Marcius plans to visit Purdue in about two weeks, and USF in about three weeks.

He said he really liked the campus at SMU, which is in Dallas.

"I think the three schools he has it narrowed down to would be a great opportunity for him to come in and make an impact," Brooks said. "The thing the Purdue probably has over the ones right now is they just made it to the Sweet 16 and basically have everybody back. That's a plus.

"He has options."

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=96&ArticleID=22077

Archived